The Shaft | Mar. 5 6:25 pm EST
Getting Fancy

The dorms they are a-changin’

With summer renovations planned for River, Hogan, East Campus, McBain, and John Jay, Columbia housing will soon undergo some fairly drastic cosmetic surgery—and The Shaft is here with updates on your floor’s bathroom Botox.

In addition to impending freedom, seniors can anticipate makeovers in River, Hogan, and East Campus. This summer, both Hogan’s roof and River’s boiler will be replaced—and the 20th floor of EC will see kitchen and bathroom renovations, new flooring and lighting in rooms and corridors, and new furnishings in the suite common areas. Eventually, the second floor lounge will include soft seating, study spaces, a flat-screen TV, and—get this—a piano. We can only hope that this addition will usher in the return of Baroque fashion.

Except Bach didn’t have doors with electronic locks.

Sophomore residence McBain will face changes on floors seven and eight, including new ceilings in all rooms, new lighting in hallways, new doors with electronic locks, new flooring in rooms and hallways, and new single-bathrooms (including one ADA bathroom) on each floor. Residents should also expect floor lounges with cabinets, countertops, and appliances—like an upgraded Fisher-Price kitchen, if Fisher-Price kitchens cost more than $7,000 per year to use.

Incoming first-years can look forward to updates on floors 12, 13, 14, and 15 of John Jay, and we recommend baptizing your new flooring with some “Risky Business” dance moves. Other expected changes include new corridor lighting, new doors with electronic locks, Electrical System upgrades, new single-use bathrooms (with one ADA bathroom on floors 12-14), and a laundry room relocated directly across the elevator on the basement level.

Keep checking back with The Shaft for more housing information!

1. Daniel • March 6, 2014 at 2:49 am • Reply

Isn’t all that stuff already in the EC 2 lounge?

• Emma Finder STAFF • March 12, 2014 at 10:43 pm • Reply

I’m pretty sure there’s no TV right now, and I know the seating is crap. The piano is there, though.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  2. Rising Junior • March 6, 2014 at 2:58 pm • Reply

If you know that you want to get adjacent singles with a group of friends, are there any advantages/disadvantages to registering for In Person Group Selection and then dropping to Online Selection (because you can only pick singles during online selection) versus registering for Online Selection as a group?

• Emma Finder STAFF • March 12, 2014 at 10:45 pm • Reply

The advantage of registering for in-person is that you can always drop to online, whereas the reverse is not true. If you know 100% that you all want singles, might as well go right to online, but if you want to have suites as an option if you have an especially good/bad number, do in-person.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
      Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)