The Shaft | Mar. 3 8:11 pm EST
Juniors and Seniors

The deal with junior and senior housing

You’ve been through this process before, so you know the deal with the housing lottery. If you were lucky, you just spent a year in Broadway bliss, or maybe the LLC, or maybe even a Special Interest Community (SIC). At the very least, we’re hoping you avoided the McShaft.

Here’s what you can do. If you’re a senior, the campus is your oyster. We’ll come back to you later. If you are a junior, there are plenty of good options out there, even if you are planning on living in an all-junior group. But do not bank on Sophomore Pair-Up, because as juniors (and seniors), this option does not apply to you.

Juniors tend to live in Broadway, Claremont, Harmony, Nussbaum, Ruggles, Schapiro, Symposium, Watt, Wien, or Woodbridge. Some of you may get into EC. If your goal is to be in a suite, your best bet is to do In-Person Group Selection with an even numbered group. There are many options available to you as a group of 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8.

If you score a low number—say, 20/2934—and Ruggles is gone by the time you arrive, you can choose to do Junior Regroup. In Junior Regroup, groups choose to split into some permutation—say, four groups of 2, or one group of 7 and one single—and pick after all the rest of the juniors have picked. So, our hypothetical group from above could split into a 7-person group and a 1-person group. They would get a new appointment time that would fall sometime after the last junior group picks, and they could try for, say, a Claremont suite.

On the other hand, if you’re able to get a senior or two to join your suite, you are guaranteed a suite in Ruggles or even EC, if you get lucky. EC has 56 exclusion suites with 3 singles and 1 double and, if you’re willing to go into the double as a rising junior, your odds are good.  Last year’s cutoff for exclusion suites was 24/814, so we doubt any all-junior groups will be landing an ECX this year, and we don’t recommend going in as an all-junior group of 5 for that reason.

As a rising senior, your options are nearly boundless. You can help out some of your underclassmen friends and score a great single in Ruggles, or if you want a single and quiet, you can choose the best Broadway has to offer. If you’re still down for a double, you can pull a Putin and invade Crimea Watt.

If you are in a group of all seniors, you can try for Hogan, although these tend to go pretty quickly. 6-person, all single townhouses in EC are definitely doable: there are approximately 28 townhouses available for 6-person groups as well as 7 high-rise all-singles 6-person suites. Even with a poor number, you can still score a 6-person townhouse, although two of you will have to be in doubles. Stay tuned for more concrete numbers later this week.

Another point we’d like to expand upon is Online Selection vs In-Person Selection. Although we recommend registering as a group for In-Person Selection, as this will broaden your housing options, many juniors and seniors choose Online Selection. Students doing Online Selection will choose after In-Person groups choose and thus will probably miss out on suites in East Campus, Hogan, Ruggles, Woodbridge, Watt, and Claremont. However, you will be able to choose into Broadway, Harmony, Nussbaum, River, or Schapiro.

The benefit of Online selection is that you’ll be able to change your group any way you want during the selection process. Seniors doing Online Selection tend to split up into adjacent singles in a corridor building like Broadway, or one like Nussbaum—where the option is technically “corridor” but really a suite.

Juniors doing Online Selection follow the same process and tend to pick into Broadway, Harmony, Nussbaum, River, Schapiro, or Wien.

Stay tuned for cutoffs from last year later this week.

1. question • March 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm • Reply

hey!! <3 da shaft. 25-point pair: watt and woodbridge? anywhere else we should look?

• Emma Finder STAFF • March 3, 2014 at 8:34 pm • Reply

Hey! Watt and Woodbridge are definitely the best places to look, but you might also consider Symposium (548 W. 113th) or trying for adjacent singles in Online Selection. But yeah, Woodbridge is a possibility, and Watt 1-bedrooms may stick around for mixed-point groups.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
      Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
  2. Rising junior • March 3, 2014 at 8:54 pm • Reply

Roughly what number would a group of us going into online selection need to get broadway singles?

3. Nussbaum • March 3, 2014 at 10:37 pm • Reply

is not quite a suite. Is actually much closer to being a corridor.

4. question • March 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm • Reply

If one of your suitemates (in Ruggles, perhaps) studies abroad second semester, what happens to that spot? Does Housing stick a rando in there or what?

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
    • Alex Spangher STAFF • March 3, 2014 at 11:35 pm • Reply

Housing will try to fill it, if they can. If your friend is leaving a single, chances are high that it will be filled. However, spots in doubles are sometimes not able to be filled, and the roommate is often left with a sweet dingle!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  5. rising sophomore nussbaum... • March 4, 2014 at 8:21 am • Reply

if we’re a sophomore group of 5/6, is nussbaum a possibility? will we be able to live in the same suite?

• Alex Spangher STAFF • March 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm • Reply

Most likely. As another commenter pointer, though, Nussbaum is treated like a corridor-style dorm. As in, you pick into doubles, but they happen to be in a suite-like layout. Thus, depending on your lottery number, you may be able to pick into three doubles in the same suite, but chances are, there will be another random person (probably a junior or a senior) occupying the single.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
    • Anonymous • March 5, 2014 at 12:19 am • Reply

Don’t go in as a group of 5, one of you will get fucked

6. study abroad (rising junior) • March 4, 2014 at 1:31 pm • Reply

if I’m studying abroad in the fall, what happens to housing when I get back? what if I’d really like to live with a group of my friends who are here the whole year?

7. Rising Junior w/ Sophomore Bud • March 5, 2014 at 1:19 am • Reply

We want a group of 8 for a suite, but we have a few sophomores in the group. Does this work well? Could we drop into junior regroup?

• Anonymous • March 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm • Reply

mixed point groups can’t go into regroup…you can only do junior regroup if you are a group of all juniors. mixed point groups are a mixed bag for this reason–basically, if you can’t pick something during your appointment time, you have to drop to online.
      also, if you’re thinking group of 8 for ruggles, there’s just about no chance of getting into ruggles as a mixed group of rising juniors and rising sophomores, unless you also have a senior or two in the mix. your point value pretty much needs to be greater than or equal to 20 to have a shot at a ruggles 8-person suite.

8. Rising Junior • March 5, 2014 at 9:04 pm • Reply

What are the best prospects for a group of 4 rising juniors? Should we try to get another person if we all want singles, or is 4 fine? Are there any options for us other than Schapiro and Broadway if the four of us all want singles?

• Anonymous • March 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm • Reply

schapiro, broadway, wein, harmony…these are your options for singles as juniors.
      if you all want singles, it doesn’t matter if you’re a group of 4 or a group of 5, just do group online selection together and pick into adjacent rooms on the same floor because there’s no suites of all-singles for groups of juniors.

9. Confused • March 10, 2014 at 12:12 am • Reply

What’s the process for dropping from in-group selection to online selection? Would we still keep our lottery number?

10. Anonymous • March 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm • Reply

If we have five people in a group and we have 4 seniors (1 barnard) and 1 junior, what happens if we do not get a good enough lottery number for an ECX 5 person suite? Can we do senior regroup and split into two pairs of doubles and a single? Can we all drop to singles? Thanks!!

• Anonymous • March 12, 2014 at 1:13 pm • Reply

ALSO, what other suite options do we have with the 27.5 point value or whatever….what about if we had 4 people or 6 people (but 1 person still a junior)?