The Eye | Feb. 5 5:24 pm EST
Hey Girl

Best of Feminist Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

When Ryan Gosling first made his way onto movie screens, nobody would ever have imagined that this Canadian hunk would become a refreshing voice of feminism.

It all started when Danielle Henderson, a graduate student in Women’s and Gender Studies at the University of Wisconsin, created an entertaining study tool by pairing images of Ryan Gosling from the media with pithy statements relating to dense feminist theory.

These images went viral, transforming Gosling into a feminist icon and ultimately leading Henderson to publish these memes in a book titled ”Feminist Ryan Gosling.” In light of The Eye’s interview with Henderson this week, take a look at some of the best of these memes from her blog, created by both Henderson and her fans.

The only thing I have to say about this one is thank you, Ryan Gosling, for understanding.

Even the most strident feminist would probably have a hard time disagreeing that his genes will likely yield beautiful children.

Most feminists would be offended by the thought of becoming an eroticized spectacle, but most would allow themselves to be looked at by those wide, loving, puppy-dog eyes any day.

Not only does Ryan Gosling have a place in his heart for women who are independent and educated members of society, but he also appreciates a good Virginia Woolf essay. Did he take the Core?

Ryan totally understands how gender relations in our society are dominated by false conceptions of differences and hierarchies. Yes, this is totally problematic and devastating, but for now, the welcoming arms of Ryan Gosling seem like a tempting method of consolation.

1. CC '14 • February 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm • Reply

Came for funny pictures… Left irritated that the author felt the need to delegitimize “the most strident feminists” and their thoughts with several of the posts.

2. editor, edit thyself • February 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm • Reply

why would i want to read about memes on spectrum?

Rating: -1 (from 9 votes)
  3. anon • February 6, 2013 at 12:39 pm • Reply

This is so dumb.

Rating: -2 (from 2 votes)
  4. Rega • February 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm • Reply

Idk what these haters are hating about. There is no forum inappropriate for pictures of Ryan Gosling. I wish every post on every website was just this. Good post, Sarah :)