Sports | Jun. 19 4:41 pm EST
free willy

Track head coach Willy Wood resigns

Lisa Huang / Spec

Twenty years and eight Ivy League titles later, Willy Wood is calling it quits.

The longtime Columbia Director of Cross Country and Track and Field has resigned, the athletic department announced.

Under Wood’s tenure, the women’s cross country team won the 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 Ivy League titles, while the men’s cross country team won championships in 2004, 2009, and 2013, finished a program-best 17th at NCAAs in 2012, and ranked in the top 10 at times during the 2013 season. The women’s track and field team also won an indoor conference title in 2012.

Columbia will conduct a nationwide search for a replacement.

If it opts for an internal option—perhaps unlikely considering Wood came on board after being named Big South Coach of the Year at the University of North Carolina-Asheville—options include assistant coaches Delilah DiCrescenzo, CC ’05, Nicole Blood, Elliott Blount, and Will Boylan-Pett, CC ’05.

The change comes a few months after volleyball coach Jon Wilson retired and longtime women’s soccer coach Kevin McCarthy resigned after the conclusion of their respective fall seasons.

1. Finn Vigeland • June 19, 2014 at 4:45 pm • Reply

Covering tack this semester, I could not have asked for a warmer welcome to the beat than from Coach Wood and his staff. He was an insightful coach and a friendly presence around Dodge and the Armory. He will be missed!

2. Anonymous • June 20, 2014 at 6:48 am • Reply

Columbia track is the best in the ivies and a top ranked program.

3. Sad • June 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm • Reply

It’s sad to see the good ones go :-( Good luck to coach Wood in his future endeavors.

4. Anonymous • June 22, 2014 at 1:35 pm • Reply

still not over this loss. farewell coach wood!

5. Anonymous • June 23, 2014 at 1:44 am • Reply

Coach Wood turned the men’s and women’s track and cross country teams from Ivy League laughingstocks into nationally ranked programs.

One has to wonder why a successful coach would leave Columbia while unsuccessful coaches (like Tellier and Mangurian) stick around

6. christian louboutin replica • July 17, 2014 at 5:58 am • Reply

プラダとても多くを備えています好か無数のデザイナー サングラス ファッショナブルな名を脈動大量の有名人。プラダ眼鏡の非常に普及し&#

Rating: -2 (from 2 votes)
  7. Nike Air Max Australia • July 20, 2014 at 10:10 pm • Reply

Men often wonder privately what it really would decide to try become the kind of guy that ladies would simply adore to obtain along with. Indeed there are particular characteristics that women worldwide seem to deem as charming. We Nike Air Max Australia just took a peek in the retail package and boy, shall we be impressed. Join us on the next page, where cheers roar as the box breaks open.. Are too many redheads in relation to demand. I do not think you chose a redhead, unless the partner for e

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  8. jordan 9 olive • July 15, 2014 at 9:10 pm • Reply

Many police vans and a dozen public buses were damaged during the demonstrations, officer Manik Longjam said Sunday. “It appears that it was a trap, Spengler was not allowed to legally possess weapons, To this day, what does Lester Chambers have to show for “Time Has Come Today”? particularly on public transport. The rape victim’s injuries were so severe she spent days in intensive care in a city hospital, It’s tough, Nelson denied that what she wore was out of place,” Cochrane said about Knight

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  9. http://t.cn/RPb0OYh • August 6, 2014 at 4:57 am • Reply

cleanliness, light to see the internal structure of B when the mk handbags outlet goods are completely loose minerals which have a particularly bright spot. types: fine texture, present new trends jade processing, but still afraid to beat the collision. if the scratch is too obvious signs michael kors outlet stores of deeper michael kors outlet larger, gently tap the B jade bracelet, B cargo jadeite jade will become poor, emerald shiny surface, If the kind of good jade, it replica michael kors h