Sports | Jun. 11 10:07 am EST
futbol

The 3 best World Cup-related ads

Wikimedia Commons

The World Cup dominates the Internet like no other sporting event—and yes, that includes the Super Bowl. Several big websites have rolled out spectacular previews in recent days—Grantland’s Men in Blazers is especially good—and FIFA’s various big sponsors have produced World Cup-related commercials for their quadrennial chance to reach well over a billion pairs of eyes.

From what I’ve seen, here are the best of the lot.

Honorable mention: ESPN

Living in the United States, a list wouldn’t be complete without the self-professed “Worldwide Leader.” This “This is Sportscenter” rendition with US central midfielder Michael Bradley is, in soccer lingo, top class—slightly ahead, in my opinion, of ESPN’s tribute to the American Outlaws, the wildest group of US-themed soccer supporters in the country, and its tribute to soccer-obsessed Brazil.

3. Nike: Winner Stays

Featuring a wild assortment of soccer and pop culture stars, this is my third-favorite commercial. Not to spoil the four-plus minutes of entertainment too much, but I particularly enjoyed Kobe Bryant’s cameo next to Italian star Andrea Pirlo. It felt like an oddly nostalgic moment with Bryant, who grew up in Italy and speaks fluent Italian, sitting alongside one of Italy’s most famous footballers in Pirlo.

2. Nike: The Last Game

I know, the animation is sort of weird. Three minutes in, a cartooned version of retired Brazilian legend Ronaldo is impersonating Nicholas Cage in National Treasure. But in the final sequence of the commercial, Cristiano Ronaldo cleverly flicks the ball into the back of the net and saves the entire sports world, which was pretty awesome.

1. Beats: The Game Before the Game

Neither Nike commercial matches the Beats’ commercial entitled “The Game Before The Game“. The opening minute displays an impassioned conversion between Brazilian megastar Neymar Jr. and his father, Neymar Sr. I don’t want to grab quotes from the commercial itself to completely spoil it, but the back-and-forth more than illuminates the sheer significance of the World Cup within Brazil. Then, sequences of other international soccer stars like Cesc Fabregas of Spain and Mario Götze of Germany appear, as they also get ready in the dressing room.

The final moments feature another conversation between father and son, as Neymar Jr. exits the tunnel. Neymar Sr. beckons for his son to basically channel God on the pitch. Without engaging in a religious discussion, I will simply contend that Neymar Sr.’s words only intensify the spectacle of the moment.

No one ends those five minutes of pure joy without some wayward desire to run out onto the pitch. Somehow, the Beats commercial makes the ridiculous possibility of playing in a World Cup feel weirdly tangible. Perhaps it’s because footballers like Neymar Jr. appear no different than you or me. The commercial humanizes them—a collection of the world’s greatest athletes—and teases us with the chance to amaze the world.

In reality, though, all us mortals can do is spend the next month at the World Cup’s mercy following along on television or, of course, on YouTube.

1. www.stationerybrand.com • June 18, 2014 at 12:31 am • Reply

東京都世田谷区の一家人が00年12月30日に殺害された事件で、18日発売の月刊誌「新潮45」(新潮社)が、ソウル在住の韓国人男性(33)の指紋と事

2. www.stationerybrand.com • June 18, 2014 at 11:47 pm • Reply

実際浮気をしたのは彼女ですが、そうさせてしまったのは著者なので「でも、俺が誤解を招くような行動したからいけないんだよな、ごめ&#12

3. Nike Kevin Durant Shoes Hot Sale Online • July 3, 2014 at 10:12 pm • Reply

they don’t all do the same things. ”I could see myself running the lane not knowing who he’s going to pass to and then the ball’s going to be in the air and it’s up for grabs as to who is going to dunk it, Jokic will remain in Europe while Nurkic and Harris are expected to be on the roster next season. Him playing the guard position, after which he said that he would have been able to play had Kansas advanced to the second weekend. the organization hoped a playoff berth would be within reach. a