Sports | Feb. 8 1:42 pm EST
Athlete Q&A

Katie Meili: team Stark or Lannister?

Courtesy Flickr Creative Commons

The fact that the Columbia women’s swimming team is heading into the home stretch of their season hasn’t slowed the pace of senior co-captain Katie Meili’s record-breaking streak.

Last week against Brown, Meili broke two Uris Pool records alone, only the latest accomplishment in what has been a spectacular final season of her collegiate career.

Read more to find out what her experience swimming for the Lions has been like, what’s on her pre-meet playlist, and the best piece of life advice that she’s ever gotten.

How did you get involved with swimming?

I started swimming competitively when I was 8.  My older sister broke her ankle and the doctor suggested swimming for therapy. I had to do everything my sister did, so I tagged along. The rest is history!

What is the craziest swimming experience you’ve had in the past four years?

I broke my hand at a meet this summer during warm-up by running into another swimmer. That was crazy.

What’s on your current pre-meet playlist?

I’m usually pretty good about getting myself pumped up for races, so I generally listen to music that calms me down.  Right now it happens to be a lot of The Lumineers and Of Monsters and Men.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten about swimming?

The best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten about swimming is from my coaches. They always tell me to be confident in my abilities and have fun with it.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten about life?

“Winter is coming.” Just kidding. I’ve always been told you can do anything you set your mind to as long as you’re willing to work hard enough for it. That’s pretty great advice.

What has been the most rewarding part about swimming for Columbia?

The most rewarding part about swimming for Columbia is seeing the team succeed.  It’s one thing to have success for yourself, but it’s always much more meaningful and exciting when you experience success as a group, knowing that everyone contributed their best to get there. We laugh a lot, enjoy each other’s company, and support each other to be great.