Sports | Jun. 16 3:44 pm EST
legends

Hall of Fame Class of 2010—some of them are pretty awesome!

Last week the athletic department announced the 2010 Hall of Fame Class, and after extensive googling research, we’ve discovered that some of the inductees did some interesting things during and after their time in light blue. Keep reading to learn about former athletes that have done everything from competing in the Olympics to writing books to inspiring songwriters.

• Charles Batterman, CC ’44, who was on the swimming and diving team while at Columbia, went on to coach at MIT and write a book about the physics of diving—The Techniques of Springboard Diving. Batterman’s book was the first to “apply physics principles to the analysis of dives.” Way to rep the Ivy League.
  • Erinn Smart, BC ’01, was one of three Columbians to win a silver medal in fencing at the 2008 Olympics. Rower Thomas Auth, CC ’90, and fencer Robert Cunnigham, CC ’88 are also former Olympians.
  • Aldo T. “Buff” Donelli, besides having a kickass nickname, coached CU football from 1957-67, leading the Lions to their only Ivy League championship ever in 1961. Before coming to Columbia, Donelli also coached at his alma mater Duquesne while coaching the Pitsburgh Steelers, making him the only person to ever coach a college and NFL team simultaneously. As if that didn’t make him awesome enough, Donelli also played on the 1934 World Cup team. That’s right, he played both kinds of football.
  • The final (and totally most famous) inductee we’re going to highlight is Delilah DiCrescenzo, CC ’05. You know this song:

1. What about • October 22, 2010 at 9:12 am • Reply

Jerry Sherwin?