Sports | Nov. 10 12:18 pm EST
GAMEDAY

FOOTBALL Lions vs. Cornell—Final score: COLUMBIA 34 – CORNELL 17

Alyson Goulden / Spec

The Lions are back home at Baker today for Senior Day and the third Empire State Bowl against Cornell. The Big Red come in with an overall record of 4-4, and have gone 2-3 in the Ivy League.

The Big Red come in with a high octane passing offense that allows the team to always be in a game. Cornell’s quarterback, Jeff Mathews, by far leads the league in passing yards with 2611, and in has already broken the Big Red record for career passing yards with 7,746 in his junior season. Limiting him will be key of the Lions are to win today.

It’s the Lions last home game, and there’s a lot on the line after the blowout against Harvard last week. You can check out our three keys to the game after the jump, and follow all the action on Twitter @CUSpecSports.

1. Pressure the quarterback 

One of the best ways to disrupt a quarterback’s timing is to hit him and jam the wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. The entire Lions defense will have a tough job today, and the front seven and secondary will have to work together in order to stop Cornell’s prolific passing offense.

2. Control the clock

Stopping the Cornell defense is also on the Lions offense, as they’ll need to maintain a strong time of possession to keep the ball out of Mathews’ hands. Cornell ranks dead last in the league in passing, rushing, and overall defense, so look for junior running back Marcorus Garrett to have a strong day running the ball.

3. Send the seniors off right

After last week’s blowout loss to Harvard, it’s important for the Lions to come back home and end the season right. The Light Blue have had a tough season, but do have a good chance to win today if they execute their game plan.

1. Parent of CU student • November 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm • Reply

Congratulations Light Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can do it! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Fadedblue • November 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm • Reply

I’m very impressed with this win. Congratulations and well done Lions!

3. CC@hotmail.com • November 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm • Reply

Go Lions!

4. This team is actually pretty good • November 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm • Reply

Three wins for a Columbia team is well within the top tier of our recent history. Four wins would be insane. Good on Mangurian, he really did bring some improvement.

5. UnionLeague • November 12, 2012 at 9:48 am • Reply

Keep building that defense. Let’s try to make it the best in the IVY next year. Go Lions.

6. fan • November 12, 2012 at 10:55 am • Reply

Great win after that awful loss to harvard who ended up getting beat this week by penn,i think with your defense coming on strong again and your offense getting on track next year will be very exciting.you really have to love that connors kid he is some receiver