Sports | Nov. 17 6:59 pm EST
gameday

BASKETBALL Lions vs. Marist – Final score: Red Foxes 67, Columbia 62

The men’s basketball team hosts Marist in its second home-game of the season. Columbia heads into the game with a record of 2-0, having earned two convincing wins against Furman and Haverford. The Red Foxes are 0-2, with losses against Colgate and Stony Brook.

Last year, Marist handed the Light Blue the defeat that broke Columbia’s seven-game winning streak. The Columbia side on the court tonight will be very different from what the Red Foxes had to face last year, and as long as the Lions continue the success of their frontcourt, they should be able to walk away with a win. You can see our three keys after the jump and follow the action on Twitter @CUSpecSports.

1. Three-point shooting

Against Haverford on Tuesday, the Lions shot  3-17 from beyond the arc, and both Smith and his players said after the game that they were hoping to improve that shooting percentage. Last year against Marist, the Lions only shot 3-14, so the emphasis Saturday night will be taking advantage opportunities from three-point range.

2. Strong finish

Last year, the Lions had a one-point lead in the second half, but Marist went on a 40-19 run to take a 79-59 victory over the Light Blue. This time around, the Lions needs to focus on maintaining any lead they get, and closing out the game.

3. Freshmen on the court

After missing Tuesday’s game against Haverford, freshmen guards Grant Mullins and Maodo Lo are expected to play in tonight’s matchup. Smith previously said that he has been impressed by how both players have looked in practice. The Lions will definitely be hoping that Mullins and Lo can make big contributions coming off the bench against Marist, and reproduce the 33 points scored by Light Blue substitutes on Tuesday.

1. Anonymous • November 17, 2012 at 9:25 pm • Reply

Both teams played, man. Both teams played hard.

2. Richard • November 18, 2012 at 1:43 am • Reply

The Lions also played a 2-3 zone