Spectrum | Feb. 21 9:09 pm EST
rotc media coverage

Wounded veteran comments on audience jeers in second hearing

Over the past day, many news outlets have covered, and in general expressed disgust over, the treatment Anthony Maschek, 28 and a GS freshman, received while speaking at the second town hall.

Maschek today offered the following comment:

To all who have expressed concern or outrage over the reported events at the Columbia University ROTC Town Hall meeting:

Comments by a small number of individuals at the town hall meeting have not changed my positive experiences at Columbia. Thus far, my fellow students have been very interested in hearing about my past life and military experiences. Columbia has been attempting to get more veterans to share their experiences here, and the atmosphere here has been supportive despite the actions of a very small minority of the town hall participants.

News will have a full story on the national media coverage in a few hours.

1. john • February 21, 2011 at 10:25 pm • Reply

Just check out the comment on TWITTER to see the outrage of most Americans to the
    spoiled, childish brats that heckled this young hero. The head of this university owes it to the young man and this nation to apologize for such an outrage. Our country is free because of young men who are willing to sacrifice everything so that these fools have the right to even make such disgusting statements. You may have brains but you are not smart.

2. marcd43 • February 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm • Reply

I would be absolutely ashamed to call myself a Columbia University student after witnessing the blatant disrespect shown to someone who put his life at risk and suffered serious injuries for our country. I don’t care what your opinion is on the war or whether the campus should allow ROTC or not, there is a level or respect that this man earned for his service, and to heckle him for speaking his mind is disgusting and shows a tremendous amount of ignorance and a complete lack of self-control on the part of those students who did the heckling. Perhaps Columbia should add another course to their general education requirements: Respect and Tolerance 101.

• Kent Oldknow • February 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm • Reply

This is such a manufactured issue:
      1. You could always participate in ROTC when attending Columbia. I had a 3 yr scholarship and attended my ROTC training at St. Peters College in Jersey City. Most others go to Fordham
      2. Columbia would probably not get a ROTC Detachment anyway. The Army has been consolidating ROTC for years, the relationship with Fordham would probably continue. The only possible change would be possible credit for the ROTC course (Maybe??)
      3. As stated, it was a vocal minority, my experience as a veteran (2/508th IN ABN with deployment to Sinai and Grenada) at Columbia was very positive, so was my wife’s cousin (Ranger served in Afghanistan).
      So let’s all take a deep breath and realize this is just the NY Post ginning up a false outrage
      Kent Oldknow
      GS87
      Former- CPT AR Commanding

3. Anon. • February 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm • Reply

I see that the some of my fellow commenters lack the ability to read what they are posting on.

• brilliant, • February 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm • Reply

just brilliant

4. britcastle • February 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm • Reply

Anthony
    Thank you for serving our country and giving us our freedom. Your sacrifice means alot and is important for the freedom of all Americans, including the Department of Anthropology bitches that heckled you.

5. Rebecca • February 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm • Reply

How disappointing to hear that Columbia students heckled an honored military veteran student who attempted to present his viewpoints! My daughter attends an Ivy other than Columbia and recently described a classroom discussion in which a veteran student contributed an eloquent, meaningful response that added immensely to understanding the topic of discussion. And it was a response that could only have come from experiences of a military veteran. The voices of women and minorities have contributed invaluably to the rarified air of Ivy universities and have been met with respect. Why do these Columbia students not offer the same respect for veterans? Why do the Columbia faculty and administration not express outrage at this lack of civility for a valuable, well-earned point of view?

6. Anonymous • February 21, 2011 at 11:58 pm • Reply

Wow. I am more embarrassed for some of the hysterics who want to paint Columbia was a broad brush, despite listening to the tape of the meeting and reading the comments of the soldier above.

The news media ran with this, and the usual conservative pundits saw what they wanted to see.

What we have is a small minority of students who were rude,

What we have is a student body and university that seem to be trying to address the issue head on, and in ways superior to what other similar instituaitons are doing.

Anyone who reads Maschek’s comments, and looks at the events in context, has to be struck by the appropriate and well meaning response of the university. The very fact that Maschek was not shouted down, and has positive things to say about the university and its students, should tip the hysterics that they are overreaching.

• john • February 22, 2011 at 12:54 am • Reply

I do not think that anyone is “overeaching” I think many people were extremely offended whether it is one or 100. Since you brought up conservative pundits, I will just comment
      that liberal pundits waste no time when they are offended either. What you consider minor is a huge offense to others, especially those who have gone off to war and sacrificed everything for our country. If it is only one insensitive bonehead that makes comments I will make sure that you and everyone at your “INSTITUATION” as you spelled it knows that I am offended

7. Britcastle • February 22, 2011 at 12:03 am • Reply

Hey anonymous, you think people are overreacting? You CU, liberal trash punk. You must be dating one of those Anthropology trolls.

• CU '08 • February 22, 2011 at 12:30 am • Reply

here’s the irony with all this. you, britcastle, and other folks who’ve been posting on this site, are one and the same as the 3 students who called out Mr. Maschek during his speech. neither you nor they can hold more than one idea in your heads at the same time. so let me do the hard work for you: Mr. Maschek made a speech, was met with briefly a few snide/uncalled for remarks from three students out of a couple hundred, and those students were promptly told to be quiet by the moderator. there’s really nothing more to the story, so let’s all get on with our lives. there are far more important things going on in the world.

• john • February 22, 2011 at 12:58 am •

your dismissive attitude is as offensive as the students that made the comments

• bc • February 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm •

But you really do need to get a life, am I right

• Anonymous • February 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm • Reply

Man, I wish I were young enough to be dating an undergrad….

I agree with CU08s points below to a degree. I think everyone agrees that the heckling was wrong. What is bothersome is the broad overraction. And the way people just want to gloss over literally everything to make some point that Columbia dishonors veterans, when in fact, all the evidence points to exactly the opposite conclusion.

I went to a university long ago that had no ROTC, which in fact burned down its ROTC building, and I thought the way the moderator handled this and the way the students applauded was pretty commendable.

But as CU08 said, juggling ideas and measuring context is tough.

8. Bryce • February 22, 2011 at 12:12 am • Reply

To the Columbia University Students who heckled Anthony Maschek: You have the right to disagree with his opinions. However, those of you who choose to dishonor this man have brought a dishonor to yourselves. This man, his sacrifices, and the sacrifices to the brave men and women who VOLUNTEERED to defend this country, against all forces, both foreign and domestic, protect your freedoms so that you can act like undiscplined fools. Until you pick up a weapon and stand a post and defend both yourself and your country, you have no right to disparage this fine young man.
    And to the young lady, who shouted “That’s Offensive”…how offensive was it when some crazy fundementalists flew airliners into buildings, killing 3,000 of our citizens, who were only doing their jobs? Let me tell you something from someone who has been there and done that…had we not taken the fight to Iraq and Afganistan, we would be fighting them in our own backyards right now. Remember this, everyone who is fighting for your rights now, VOLUNTEERED. All will return home….either whole or in part, or escorted by six military members, after paying the ultimate price for freedom. Maybe you should think about that before you heckle someone who has proven that he is a true AMERICAN. I have served my country many years ago, and because of my love of this country, and to this day would again serve to protect the rights and freedoms we have. Unless we stop the radicals in their own backyard, right now, we are doomed to have another 9/11. I’m not willing to repeat the errors of the past. GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS FREEDOM. Next time, sit back and think about who and what sacrifies a speaker has made, and not your screwed up ideas about sitting around singing “Kumbaya”, and praying for world peace. Reality Check: There are bad people out there who want to kill you just for being an AMERICAN.

9. Britcastle • February 22, 2011 at 12:20 am • Reply

Bryce,
    That young lady is an Anthropology Troll, a new lower form of life that developed and now breeds at Columbia University.

10. Bryce • February 22, 2011 at 12:30 am • Reply

Perrhaps we need to see if we can move the Anthropology Dept. to Kabul. I’m sure the Taliban will appreciate that young lady’s opinion in the matter at hand. I wonder if they will be able to study her remains in the University of Kabul’s Anthropology Dept. in the next decade.Of course, without ears or a nose….

11. David McHann • February 22, 2011 at 12:52 am • Reply

I helped train volunteers for the Fallujah police. Fighting along side men who were risking their lives to take their city back is something I’ll be proud of for the rest of life.

12. Popcorn • February 22, 2011 at 1:18 am • Reply

This drama is getting good.

13. In all seriousness • February 22, 2011 at 1:24 am • Reply

I find it very interesting to observe the way a lot of radicals are responding to light laughter. Apparently it’s okay to call an entire university’s population trash, stupid, idiotic, disgusting, etc., but it’s not okay for anyone to laugh in a town meeting. This is a heated debate, but it needs to be toned down. If you want to be taken seriously by Columbia students, act civil and speak intelligently. Right now ya’ll just look ridiculous.

• bobcat • February 22, 2011 at 5:33 am • Reply

And if Columbia student want to be taken seriously maybe they need to “police their own” at public venues and remind them the world is watching. The reason the entire school is involved is because there has not been ONE apology to this Soldier by the Student Government, the University Dean or President or those who organized the town hall meeting to begin with. It isn’t the public that made your school look bad but it’s own students. The public just shown a light into the cesspool of liberalistic group think that occurs at Columbia and the students like the rest of the population at large don’t seem to be liking what their school is associated with.

• Britcastle • February 22, 2011 at 8:59 am • Reply

In all seriousness
      Get off your Columbia University high horse. Some of the people posting here graduated from institutions that far supercede CU so dont assume that all of us want to be part of your liberal, trash talking, Ahmadinejad loving club or strive to “be taken seriously by Columbia students”. The fact that you equate “light laughter” to heckling a disabled Iraq veteran shot 11 times protecting the freedom of you punks and the Anthropology trolls suggests that you are nothing but the typical CU liberal, clueless to the world punk sitting in a coffee shop surfing the Code Pink website.

14. Anonymous • February 22, 2011 at 6:14 am • Reply

I think the speakers poor choice of words caused the small backlash. The fact that he would use the tired old “people are trying to kill you” sentiment to rally the students for the ROTC program is nonsense. Use smarter language and a more compelling argument and you will win over people. Don’t use fear.

• john • February 22, 2011 at 7:58 am • Reply

To Anonymous – poor choice of words? “tired” old “people are trying to kill you” ?
      Your comments really do show what many have written. You represent many incredibly naive, ignorant people who have not had to sit in dirt and be shot at. You have led a cushy life and you think that because you attend Columbia you are above it all. If our country is left with nothing but snot nosed intellectuals to defend our way of life we are doomed. I suspect if you had to live a month of one of our soldiers lives you would be screaming for mommy. It is your attitude that makes me feel we are raising a bunch of
      book worms that are just sheep for the “TIRED” whining protestors of anything that approaches patriotism.

• Britcastle • February 22, 2011 at 9:01 am • Reply

Anonymous
      I bet you and “in all seriousness” are hanging out together now at the coffee shop reading Bill Ayers memoirs.

• john and britcastle: • February 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm • Reply

you are ignoring every fact about this incident and are simply making things up, not to mention baselessly criticizing an entire community of individuals for absolutely no reason. you fail to recognize that a) the vet, like many others, is a student at columbia, and b) the negative responses were, as earlier stated by other posters, made by 3 students! NOTHING else is being done or said… there are people for and against ROTC, but no one is against *soldiers* protecting our freedom. the student body at columbia is obviously thankful for the great service of our soldiers, perhaps aside from those 3, i’ll concede. columbia is a community filled with incredibly thoughtful and open-minded individuals. Your condemnations are just illogical and ignorant of basic facts

15. Jack • February 22, 2011 at 10:59 am • Reply

Again I come here as a disabled veteran to ask folks to put this in proper perspective. Those who have a political agenda, (and have no connection to the Columbia community) are making this incident something that it was not

.Both Mr. Maschek, and myself sacrificed our bodies, so those who disagree with us, would have the freedom to do so. It is only regretable, that they did not choose to do so in a more respectful manner.

16. Yay! • February 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm • Reply

Thank you Mr. Maschek! Now tell it to the Post, Fox News, and all the other news outlets who want to slander all of us on the opinions of a vocal few.

17. BlueStarMom • February 22, 2011 at 4:32 pm • Reply

Columbia University, you find nothing wrong with inviting Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to your campus. A madman who thinks nothing of making students and those who disagree right off the streets, never to be seen or heard from again, In your warped and naive minds you pat yourselves on the back believing you are so much more enlightened. And yet SSgt. Maschek would lay his life on the line to make sure nothing like that would ever happen to any of you.

My son is a soldier and SSgt.’s response is exactly what I would expect. He does not need acceptance from such small minded ignorant kids. He is proud, honorable and selfless. These are not traits you learn from books or the Ivy League, they are what a person is all about. The Creme always rises to the top, all the degrees in the world can not compare to a man with integrity and strong character. Those that booed they are really not worth anyone’s time. Likely, they will still look and be acting the same way years from now….probably become professional students since they are so lacking in social skills, decency and hygiene.

• once again.. • February 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm • Reply

you are addressing the entire community… this was an isolated incident of the disrespect of a very small number of people. also, Ahmadinejad was invited to speak so that he could address the atrocities he has said and committed, not to be praised or respected. your misinterpretation of information is astounding. i have friends who are soldiers. god bless them and your son.

18. Tantor • February 22, 2011 at 7:27 pm • Reply

Columbia, where is your decency?

How is it that you have sunk so low that you heckle a wounded veteran, an amputee in a wheelchair, for his service to his country while reserving your applause for a theocratic tryrant like Adhmadinejad?

What a depraved and treasonous set of values you display.

• NO ONE • February 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm • Reply

Ahmadinejad was not invited out of respect. you know nothing of this incident or of Ahmadinejad’s visit. stop pretending that you do.

19. Another Blue Star Mom • February 22, 2011 at 8:50 pm • Reply

Henceforth, I will ask whether a doctor or professional or head of a company attended Columbia.

And I will not do business with your company, or support you as a candidate for public office, or recommend you as a physician, or hire you as a teacher, or buy any books you write.

If you are a Columbia alumni and you are a proud-serving veteran of the United States Armed Forces, or if not a veteran, and instead can show me where you made a public unqualified denouncement of the behavior of these bullies who haven’t the maturity to respect those who defend our country, then – and only then – will your attendance at Columbia not be a debilitating factor against you.

And if you do attend Columbia, and you are a conservative, Christian, or Veteran who is standing in the lion’s den of this “college” to face down these vicious cowards the same way you faced down the enemy insurgents in a foreign war zone, thereby again defending the way of life of decent Americans, then you have earned my business, my respect, and my deep gratitude.

• *sigh* • February 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm • Reply

smh