Spectrum | Mar. 14 12:44 pm EST
From the Real World

Too busy to check the news? Spec has your back in our weekly news digest

All images courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

No need to spend your precious time searching through Facebook and Twitter to stay updated. Spectrum has your back: This weekly series on current events will have you more informed on the real world than your favorite Poli Sci professor!

Think You’re Smarter than a Preschooler?

This week has seen some ups and downs, so I thought it appropriate to start with an interesting study that reported that preschoolers found it easier to adapt to new technology than college students. There is no need to worry about a toddler takeover, though: The college students were slower because they spent time trying to recognize patterns in the function of the gadget, whereas the children simply played around with the device until it worked. The researchers are using the results to see if children fundamentally view the world differently, without preconceived notions of how it works.

Five-year-old_Evan_Moriarty_Make-A-Wish_Foundation.jpg

At Least You Understand the Markets

Preschoolers may be good at using technology, but we still know how to run the world’s markets. Or we thought we did. Due to the rising tension in Crimea, compounded by China’s loan cut, US markets fell considerably in the past month. This shows the impact of both the Ukraine and, especially, China on the international financial system. It is no surprise that China is important to the international economy; it is the world’s fastest growing economy, so anything that shakes its financial sector will impact global trade.

Negotiations with Russia

China’s economy hasn’t affected Russia’s decisions in the Ukraine. According to a recent article, Secretary of State John Kerry warned Russia of US-imposed sanctions by Monday if Russia does not change it’s military digressions. The US, along with the rest of the world, is carefully monitoring Russia’s movements in the country—many nations of the world seem to be in agreement that Russia is currently in the wrong here.

The Search-and-Rescue

This past week, a Malaysian jet disappeared over the Indian Ocean.  Despite searches by multiple countries, authorities have yet to determine exactly what happened to the passengers on that plane. As a brief recap: Air traffic control lost contact with the plane last Sunday. The only other data that countries could acquire was a brief “ping” to satellites in the area: This meant that ground control should be been able to contact the plane. We hope that all the passengers arrive in their respective countries unharmed.

Indian_Ocean-CIA_WFB_Map.png

Twitter is the New Culprit

Although it’s not perfect, technology can be too good sometimes. Offenses in which Twitter was used soared to 852 in 2013, up from 174 in 2011. Although the part reports that it’s not clear exactly how Twitter was used in connection with the crimes, we do know that police have been cracking down on social media posts concerning illegal acts. The moral of the story is twofold: Stay within the bounds of the law, and be careful of what you post online!

Chris Sabaitis is a sophomore in the College studying mathematics and history. Feel free to follow him on Twitter to get his latest news updates @chris_sabaitis.