Spectrum | Oct. 12 10:46 am EST
GETTIN' STUFF DONE

This week in gifs: Victory!

Steven Lau and Eileen Ai for Spectator

Forget all this ten day government shutdown nonsense—Columbia has had a pretty good week!

The week started off with Africana studies becoming its own academic department at Barnard, which made Zefron do this:

hashtagharry-styles / tumblr

PrezBo held the semester’s first fireside chat on Tuesday, which opened up a discussion on improving mental health, globalization, and diversity on campus (although his response to the latter was thought to be a bit unsatisfying…).

girlmeetslaw / tumblr

Also on Tuesday, the Light Blue men’s cross country team was ranked no. 8 in the nation!

miss-spookykid / tumblr

On Wednesday, it was announced that the temperature in the John Jay kitchen has been lowered after Student Worker Solidarity protested the issue, and that more reforms are on the way.

indieopium / tumblr

Another victory for Columbia: it was announced that the comics of Al Jaffee of MAD magazine fame will be housed in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library.

wonderfulworldofwebdesign / tumblr

Speaking of comics…this weekend is the New York Comic Con! Don’t be startled if you find both Bane and Loki in your subway car—there’ll be at least 10 Batman(s? Batmen?) and 5 Thors in a one mile radius to keep you safe.

publishingsalesrep / tumblr

And, most importantly, some of Spectrum’s own ran into Tina Fey (and Jerry Seinfeld) in Manhattanville on Thursday. Yes, I’m jealous too.

howshouldiexplainmyself / tumblr