Spectrum | Feb. 20 4:49 pm EST
rotc

Task Force releases audio of veteran’s speech in ROTC hearing

In response to the recent controversy over one particular speaker-to-audience interaction—a former veteran from Iraq who was reportedly heckled during his speech—the Task Force on Military Engagement has released an audio recording of that particular segment of the hearing. The recording can be listened to here.

The New York Post published a story on the incident today that has attracted attention around the Internet.

The veteran who spoke, Anthony Maschek, 28 and a GS freshman, was shot nine times while in combat and was awarded a Purple Heart. During his speech, some students allegedly yelled “racist” and others “laughed and jeered,” according to the Post. In the released audio, remarks of “racist” can be heard at the 2:29 mark and the alleged jeering occurred from the 1:26 to 1:35 period.

1. Bugs69, a '60s Hippie • February 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm • Reply

While some of you Columbia Students jeered, laughed and were disrespectful to Mr Mascheck, a Iraq veteran, you are enjoying freedoms he was fighting for. Mr. Mascheck and others, along with their families are sacrificing and serving to protect your freedom of speech and our other Bill of Rights. (Have you read them lately?)

Have you no shame?

I suppose not. Otherwise, you would listen and perhaps learn something about young men and women who may not have the advantages so many of you who quite often are using Mom’s and Pop’s money rather than your own finances. As President Kennedy asked, what are you doing for your country?

Did you ever consider that you can be anti-war, but have empathy for individuals and their families who choose to serve in the military? I guess not.

Isn’t the goal of an education to be informed, to respectfully listen, to critically think, to value opinion and ideas different than your own? I guess not.

I cry for the men and women who did not live to see some of Columbia’s students disrespect for their service and for those who are willing among your college’s student body to serve our country.

Old HIppie

2. Marie • February 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm • Reply

Really? That’s it? That’s what all this is about? That’s hardly “heckling”. That was a couple of audience members laughing loudly at a dramatic comment. It wasn’t exactly anti-military.

• jess • February 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm • Reply

wow there is something seriously wrong with you. You are supposed to show someone who served to protect us respect.

3. Leroy • February 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm • Reply

Seriously — liberals calling someone “racist” for taking a position they disagree with is as natural a reaction as just shaking one’s head. It’s knee-jerk for them nowadays. The student who did it should be outed.

By the way, conservatives do something similar – they call people who disagree with THEM names as well. But the issue is this event, where students denigrated someone as “racist” because he disagreed with them. Calling someone racist will lose all power soon, because soon EVERYONE will have been called that.

4. ronald • February 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm • Reply

As for those who think the military only goes after the “poor and uneducated” I offer the following examples:

George Washington
    George Strait
    Elvis Presley
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Jimmy Stewart
    Ronald Reagan
    Dwight Eisenhower
    Teddy Roosevelt
    John Kennedy
    John Kerry
    John McCain
    Buzz Aldrin
    Tammy Duckworth
    Johnny Cash
    David Petraeus (Rhodes Scholar)
    Colin Powell
    G. Gordon Liddy
    Chuck Yeager
    Abraham Lincoln

Of course I don’t expect the students at Columbia to recognize any of these people, being that one actually has to STUDY AMERICAN HISTORY to be able to identify with any of the names mentioned

• Brian • February 21, 2011 at 7:32 am • Reply

Don’t forget Jimmy Carter. I mention him because of the nuclear power training he received from the US Navy.

5. Bob • February 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm • Reply

Worse yet and way more disturbing are the comments left by Marie.

• Gerry • February 22, 2011 at 11:50 am • Reply

I Agreee what a nut!

• Gerry • February 22, 2011 at 11:51 am •

Wait – she is a perfect example of a “moonbat” as howie call calls them!!!

6. Columbia veteran • February 20, 2011 at 7:27 pm • Reply

Way to exemplify the ignorance that this article is pointing out, Marie. A dramatic comment from a veteran who was SHOT NINE TIMES IN COMBAT ought to be respected, regardless of personal agreement with it. Having been through what he has, I’d say he is entitled to be passionate about his convictions without the “laughing loudly” that you condone. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Keep the comments coming. So far the best case for a return of ROTC has been the lack of a thoughtful and well-reasoned counter opinion. Anti-ROTC groups have done nothing but demonstrate exceptional immaturity and lack of awareness, and in the process made complete as*es of themselves by regurgitating 60′s anti-military jargain and failing to meaningfully address the issue at hand.

The behavior of the children in the audio file is pathetic. If they really want ROTC to remain off campus, perhaps the best thing they could do is remove the foot from their collective mouths and zip it until they are mature and experienced enough to contribute a meaningful opinion that progresses debate rather than retarding it.

7. Phil Bergovoy, C50 • February 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm • Reply

As an NROTC graduate of Columbia College, my apologies to Mr. Mascheck for how he was treated by a few misguided men and women, and my thanks for his service.

It is hard to comprehend why anyone would oppose the return of ROTC to Columbia. In 1951, 45 of the 46 midshipmen graduated with their class. The rate was about 67% for the rest of the students.

Not one member of our class was involved in violence or mocking other students. Either one was considered a serious offense that could have resulted in dismissal.

NROTC members were integral parts of student life. The two parties that we sponsored annually, the Snow Ball and the Spring Fling, were open to all, and among the most well attended events every year.

There was never any friction between the NROTC and the remainder of the student body. Maybe that was because the Mid-Century classes are generally considered to be the finest ever on Morningside Heights. A large proportion of the student body had served in the military, and had respect for its mission in protecting this nation.

If ROTC were to return you campus, you would find that the cadets were an asset to the college, as they are everywhere else. In any case, please respect these fine young people as they will respect you.

Phil Bergovoy, ’50C, ’51 NROTC

8. ronald • February 20, 2011 at 7:46 pm • Reply

maybe they are right, ROTC doesn’t belong at Columbia it is afterall a “college level” course. Not usually found in day care centers and preschool arenas like Columbia seems to be. Are these “children” so sheltered in their bubbled helicopter parented lives the only way for them to get attention is to throw a tantrum when they can’t have their way?

I have never seen a more immature bunch of pseudo intellectuals than that which seems to exist at this university. Then they have the nerve to ask why they are working at McDonald’s after completing a four year degree??

• yo • February 20, 2011 at 9:38 pm • Reply

blanket statements man; don’t call out Columbians as a whole because of the way a few people act disrespectfully at an open forum

• ronald • February 21, 2011 at 7:52 am •

the same blanket statements used by the students at Columbia to describe Soldiers and the military.

• yo • February 21, 2011 at 11:51 am •

in that case your generalizations are just as valid as theirs

9. ROTC advocate • February 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm • Reply

Anthony Mascheck: I hope you don’t take the anti-ROTC activists’ insults personally. It’s calculated – they’re simply employing tactics from Saul Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals”

See http://vcn.bc.ca/citizens-handbook/rules.html … these “rules” seem to apply in your situation:

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

Rule 11: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it. Don’t try to attack abstract corporations or bureaucracies. Identify a responsible individual. Ignore attempts to shift or spread the blame.

According to Alinsky, the main job of the organizer is to bait an opponent into reacting. “The enemy properly goaded and guided in his reaction will be your major strength.”

10. Joel Ramirez • February 20, 2011 at 8:20 pm • Reply

The manner in which the Columbia community conducted itself during a veteran’s speech which was relevant and purposefully provocative was disheartening. Most of all, it is shameful that even when one of our own Columbians is submitting first-hand wisdom for the forum to consider, there is no worse reception to be had. I put it to the students at Columbia University, there is an intelligent and respectful dialogue here if you’ll only have it. Your jeers have only incensed those, such as I, who were mistaken that a few of our best representatives could bring, for your consideration, anecdotes that would shed light on what those few ignorant surely have no earthly idea about. It is also evident that those dismissive, side-stepping few have no intention of acquiring any earthly idea what those of us supporting the affirmative have to offer nor what we believe in.

Rest assured, those of us that are here, belong here. We would have been accepted to this school without military consideration. I hope you packed a lunch, let’s discourse.

R/S
    Joel Ramirez
    Sergeant
    United States Marine Corps

• Todd McClinton Bowles • February 22, 2011 at 10:03 am • Reply

This is an example of “biting the hand that feeds you”! These are PRIVILEGED and PROTECTED individuals who have NO RESPECT for those who have SACRIFICED in order for that very sheltered state of being to exist! This type of IGNORANCE from these “intellectually educated” ingrates is a CONTAGIOUS & detrimental DISEASE for which there IS a CURE… IF WE are willing to acknowledge it’s reality!~ http://www.facebook.com/pages/It-Is-What-It-Is/116594075029176

SEMPER FI!!!!
      Todd McClinton Bowles
      USMC ’92- ’96
      100% Service Connected Veteran

11. Judith Lamb • February 21, 2011 at 12:50 am • Reply

I find it hard to believe that anyone would laugh at a statement that people are plotting to kill Americans. Unlike the individuals who laughed at that remark, I’ve had to search for a relative after 9/11 and had to clean two apartments of “dust” from the destruction of the Twin Towers. It is so arrogant to believe that everyone loves Americans. A few overseas visits (I don’t mean to Canada and I don’t mean in tour groups) should change that deluded opinion. Even a trip to Great Britain can be dangerous. On one London trip I was one block away from an IRA bomb explosion. Feeling the blast percussion from a bomb sobers you up real fast…Arriving in Cape Town, South Africa and having a friend’s blond, green-eyed girlfriend declare, “I hate Americans.” was also an eye-opening experience.

Quoting Martin Luther King, Jr., “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

Thank you Mr. Maschek for your service to your country.

12. . • February 21, 2011 at 1:42 am • Reply

Young students are laughing at a dramatic comment. Seriously NOTHING at all was out of line. Saying something about “bad guys” wanting to kill us will make us smile and laugh, because it’s oversimplified and ridiculous. Our young students have traveled the world, several have participated in the military (and I know several vets here that are anti-ROTC and even anti-military), and several, especially students in our graduate school, have experienced terrorism in their home countries. We chuckled lightly because the comment was absurd.

• this • February 21, 2011 at 3:26 am • Reply

is true. it would have perhaps been nice if the audience showed more respect to the speaker (if a professor were to make a serious but absurd comment, people would probably restrain their laughter), but it seems to me the so-called ‘heckling’ was more a product of people being amused by the word choice of the speaker than the direction of his content

• timo • February 21, 2011 at 11:05 am • Reply

Were is your head? I think I know, don’t answer that. Are you paying attention on the world issues? Probably not, your in college having a good time spending Daddy’s money.
      You have know idea the sacrifice being made by men and woman and families who protect us from harm. You are a cancer that is destroying this country. After college could you possible go to another country to live, say Somalia…..

13. anon • February 21, 2011 at 1:52 am • Reply

Can anyone actually hear the word “racist” in this audio recording? Laughter and murmuring, but I cannot hear racist….

14. anonduex • February 21, 2011 at 9:47 am • Reply

I expected more from Columbia. The minute people with banners from any political persuasion enter a room, they have an agenda to play and the agenda is to derail any type of reasonable discourse.

Columbia is a private university, if they want to honor a student’s or a 3rd parties’ use of “reasonable free speech” and self expression that’s OK. They don’t necessarily have to – particularly for hot-button topics like this one.

Quite honestly, they should have organized groups pre-register themselves for the event if they want to attend, the minute those groups snicker, laugh, or in any way prevent someone else from exercising their free speech, (particularly an invited guest that’s on a panel or board) then they should be escorted out. In either case, individuals or groups would then have to identify themselves publicly. Which means the agendas or groups they represent are known to attendees.

The utilization of one issue to cloud or avoid a conversation of the truth is a crime. Dress it up anyway you chose, the use of transgender rights as a stance against allowing ROTC on campus diminishes the transgender rights issue.

Utilization of that issue is selecting one group’s rights over another groups rights. Which I believe is discrimination. What of the students that want ROTC? Do they not have equal rights on this issue or do transgender people have more rights? Were there any transgender people in the room or in the panel to discuss their issues with ROTC? The public does not know. I find this interesting.

The topic of discussion is ROTC. The real question pertains to the military and governmental leadership. Does the military deserve good leadership? Yes. Does the military deserve leadership that all come from the same sub demographic of America when they will be leading young men and women from sufficiently different demographics into harms way? I would hope not.

So then I would question why the faculty, staff, and students of Columbia University find the military offensive, or is this some attempt to relive the tragedy of Vietnam?

As a final comment, to say that people are “anti-war” is absurd. Everyone is anti-war. Soldiers don’t want to go to war, we do it because it must be done. Instead of protesting the military for peace, I would think people should protest the civilian leadership of the military for peace. They are the decision makers and they are the one’s who choose the wars we engage in.

15. Joe • February 21, 2011 at 9:59 am • Reply

Fact of the matter is that Columbia (as well as the other “elite” Ivy League universities) simply used the DADT policy as convenient cover in order to exclude ROTC. Since that is no longer available as an excuse, the truth of the matter (which most people have always been completely aware of) comes to light, and that’s the fact that ROTC simply isn’t welcome. And, as a whole, that also goes for most members of the Armed Forces. Since I’m a simple knuckle-dragger who couldn’t afford an Ivy League education, I opted to attend a slightly less prestigious public university while serving on active duty (full disclosure…I’m still an active duty E8, nearing 20 years of service). Even there I experienced a certain degree of, well, let’s just call it anti-military “snobbery.” I especially remember one of my professors who openly mused during class about the “pathological personality type” that would willingly enlist in any branch of the Armed Forces. Whether he was attempting to bait me, possibly hoping for some sort of enraged response, I can’t necessarily say. But I certainly found his oh-so-intellectual posturing both phony and insulting. Like most things in life, however, I simply took his gobbledygook with a grain of salt and pushed on. On the other hand, I did have my fair share of professors who were very professional, supportive caring and on the whole non-judgmental.

Overall, I (and I think most veterans and still serving members of the Armed Forces) certainly aren’t craving the “hero” tag and a pat on the back. We’re very normal people trying to make our way in the world and simply expect to be treated as such. In one respect, I can more easily deal with someone who openly loathes me for serving; at least I know where that individual is coming from and I just usually laugh it off. Most of the time that same person who loathes me hasn’t meandered more than fifty miles from his parents house and will in all likelihood wind up living in said parents basement after graduation (assuming he makes it that far). The people I’m far more suspicious of are those who half-heartedly smile, blurt out “thanks for your service” and then openly bitch about paying taxes that (among other things) support the Veterans Administration as well as a myriad of other programs geared towards those who are serving or have served. But, I’ve rambled on for far too long. Mr. Mascheck – Semper Fi and best of luck on your continuing journey through life.

16. Mark EN'94 MBA'00 • February 21, 2011 at 11:01 am • Reply

Thanks to the students in ROTC and the Vets at CU for your service. It was bad enough reading about what happened before I found out that the Vet being heckled lost a leg, but after realizing it, I’m just speechless.

To current CU students: Please vote on the ROTC question, so we can show the country that these degenerates are a small minority (hopefully), even though the Board of Trustees has allowed CU to be run by a self-declared Constitutional “scholar” who was told he is wrong not just by Scalia and Thomas, but by the former ACLU lawyer, CU student and professor, Justice Ginsburg, in a case where this “scholar” claimed that CU had a constitutional right to both take government money AND thumb its nose at the military. Then this cowardly “scholar” hid behind the University Senate to continue to deny ROTC a place at CU.

But I digress, now that the “scholar” has gotten what he demanded in the repeal of DADT. Why is this “scholar” still hiding behind others instead of being a leader and coming out to say “welcome ROTC?” I haven’t read all the stories about this incident yet, but has this “scholar” said anything of value yet, or is he still hiding because he’s afraid of what his fellow travelers will say to him?

I’ll just keep sending my CU money to the heroes at ROTC instead of to CU to use for an ever bigger administration and bigger salaries to the leaders.

17. arparp • February 21, 2011 at 11:10 am • Reply

Plenty of people applauded Mascheck, and plenty of people were silent. As for those who did heckle, I think we’re dealing with a loud minority of people here who do not value reasoned discourse. and I think the Columbia community as a whole would have acted in a much better manner. I, like many other Columbians, didn’t attend the meeting. I incorrectly assumed I didn’t need to. It seems like a no-brainer to allow ROTC. People that don’t like it can choose not to join. Sure, the military isn’t perfect, there is work to be done to figure out how to make it more inclusive. You want the military to be less “exploitive” of the poor? Make it more attractive for the well off, so that every social class can bear the burden. You know– like bringing ROTC to institutions like Columbia. Complaining that the military needs to be more inclusive implies that serving is a worthy choice. Furthermore, the military doesn’t invade countries on its own, it does so in service of the federal government. Why are we still fighting in Afghanistan? Ask Obama. He can explain it to you.

18. Phil Bergovoy, C50 • February 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm • Reply

Don’t blame Columbia for the actions of a few disrespectful people. Some of the comments here make me proud of Alma Mater, its graduates, and its current student body.

Remember this, please. The military will have as many officers as the budget allows. Where they come from is important. If you believe in Columbia, you should want as many as possible to come from this institution or other high-level colleges.

Semper fi to all Columbians, whatever your position on this issue, but especially to Sgt. Joel Ramirez, Joe, and any other gyrenes who posted or served.

.

19. Ender • February 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm • Reply

This was a pitiful incident. The point in question here isn’t whether you’re in favor or against ROTC. The point in question here is that we expect from Columbians to listen respectfully those who dissent from a particular viewpoint. What these few people did is akin to the harassment dissenters suffered in Nazi Germany and the Soviet regimes.

To debate this issue is valid and important, but both parts should let the other express their views freely.

20. Mike V. • February 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm • Reply

@ Ronald …Don’t forget about Pat Tillman, the Arizona safety who gave up a 3.6 million dollar contract to serve with the Army Rangers after 9/11….

21. kathy • February 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm • Reply

Talk about Kharma. Students tried to make a fool out of this hero by spewing their hate and in the end made fools of themselves and college to the entire country. Nothing could be better for ROTC getting on campuses across the country than this display. Talk about free publicity for the ROTC. May God Bless all of our military!! God would probably be mocked at this school too…Just a guess.

22. Joe Mesce • February 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm • Reply

To the point, Columbia University students should be ashamed of themselves. this hero im sure would put himself in harmsway AGAIN, to protect the a-holes that heckled him. shame shame shame. Just goes to show you what kind of Education these kids (sheep) are recieveing from the liberal professors at Columbia. Yes your being led around by your nose. As far as Anthony Mascheck goes this disgusting school does not deserve a hero like him. Anthony Mascheck, you are an American hero and i thank you for protecting this Country. Those of you that laughed and heckled him i pray you are never in any position to uphold America’s freedoms.

23. Rick • February 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm • Reply

Columbia has just given us a prime example of “Educated Idiots”.

24. Chap. Mikel Ryuho Monnett, BCC • February 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm • Reply

Because of my high scores on the entrance tests, I was once called in with a group of others to my CO’s office. He gave the mandatory pitch he was required to give about West Point, but then told us that he would personally recommend ROTC. Drawing upon his own experience, he laid out how he had earned his college degree from a civilian university while earning his commission through ROTC. And while the one paid for the other, he felt he got a better deal than if he had gone to one of the service academies: he would be seen as something more than just a professional soldier and could choose whether to stay in or whether to go back to civilian life when his service commitment was up.
    Now when the Air Force Academy has become a training ground for the Christian Taliban and even the Pentagon itself is home to fundamentalist zealots, I think its high time we brought back ROTC to our civilian campuses. With the repeal of DADT, the last legitimate concern has been addressed and it is time for civilian college students to rub elbows not only with veterans but with future officers. And the chance to do so in a secular setting can’t help but to encourage them to do a little critical thinking and bring a welcome relief to the manipulations and proselytizing of the evangelical pharisees.

25. Bobby • February 22, 2011 at 8:07 am • Reply

You people at Columbia are disgusting. You are the same people that APPLAUDED Ahmadinejad… All of you enjoy your little liberal bubble for now and know that the rest of the god-fearing, patriotic country thinks that you are a bunch of morons.

• Nam • February 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm • Reply

hahaha..i touhght i am the only one .u also mr khairul????i gave away 2 books from my twilight collection because of different covers (due to different publishers too) and not the same height i just bought the box set and i donated a few of my roald dahl collection because i bought the whole box set if i may .i would like to have the royalty .i am quite mad and love to dig on british royalty. i have a few bio; andrew morton’s diana, paul barrel’s diana and utterly enjoy to read their life ..

26. Chris Donovan • February 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm • Reply

Freedom ain’t FREE, you have it because of the military! U.S.A.F. vet
    If ya don’t support the military you don’t deserve to be FREE! or have the
    right to complain about about something that you know nothing about!
    Try living under a DICTATORSHIP! RECTUM BREATH!

27. wayne • February 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm • Reply

Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Right to Privacy, Right to vote, freedon from double jeapordy, freedom from excessive bail, right to bear Arms. Those are just a few of the rights out of 26 Amendments that i know I’m fighting for. That our forefathers fought for. This nation has seen many of wars. Our brothers, sisters,fathers, grandfathers,grandmothers, cousins, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, and all the generations before us have fought to keep our rights and freedom and our way of life. N one wants war, no one wants to die in battle, BUT as for myself and many THOUSANDS of men and women from this great nation are willing to put their lives in the line fire to protect each and every individual of our nation without hesitating. It is honor and blessing to serve along side my brothers and sisters in the military. No mattter what service, the Marines, Army, Navy, Air force, National Guards, Reserves, or the Coast Guards, We will do whatever it takes to protect our nation and it’s people. That’s to include to those students that disrespected one of America’s heros. I’m not going to say anything to agonize the students anymore, but simply suggest that they read the history and present day of our nation and how this nation became what is it today. Think of all those you sacrificed theirs for YOU. GOD BLESS USA.

28. Joe • February 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm • Reply

1st Ahmadinejad “DEATH TO AMERICA” 2ND the heckling of a hero. Then the Spectator annual dinner with the Hoffington Post! Check out the CONTRIBUTORS. Yes our future is in good hands !! NOT !!