Spectrum | Mar. 6 10:03 am EST
Council Roundups

SGA on dining, other things

While our nation’s president is gearing up to come to Barnard in May, Barnard’s SGA President Jessica Blank, BC ’12, was away in DC for the AIPAC Policy Conference. Rachel Ferrari, BC ’13 and vice president of SGA, took the reins of the latest SGA Representative Council meeting. Emma Goss reports on the new dining options for Barnard students and good news for Barnard clubs old and new.

Right on the (Ara)Mark: Director of Aramark, Al Sorbera, spoke to SGA but kept his statements off the record. Goldie Juer, a Dining Services representative, gave a run-down on improvements Dining Services and Aramark have made to Hewitt this year, including the addition of smoothies on Mondays and Thursdays at late night.

Staying competitive: To stay competitive with John Jay’s Sunday Brunch, Hewitt plans to start serving smoothies on Sunday mornings and will open a waffle bar and a juice bar. An SGA representative suggested that Liz’s Place start selling fresh whole fruit, and Sorbera approved the suggestion. Starting after spring break, Liz’s place will be selling whole fruit, and the additions to Sunday breakfast at Hewitt will take effect.

Feeding Frenzy: Coming soon, Aramark will offer themed catering packages at an affordable cost for clubs or groups of students that desire a catered event. Package themes include “high tea” and “birthday celebration.”

Housing Advisory Board Gets a Tenant: SGA voted to approve the one applicant for the new Housing Advisory Board. HAB brings student concerns to the attention of Residential Life & Housing and provides feedback & assistance in shaping housing policies.

SGA Joins the Fight: Two student representatives for Relay for Life, the signature fundraising event for the American Cancer Society, requested that SGA form a team to participate in the event. Relay for Life is on April 1st at Low Plaza 10:00am-10:00pm. There will be live entertainment, prizes, and giveaways. This year’s theme is “Monopoly.”

Loud About the Library: The BLAIS committee wants student feedback on changes to make to the Wollman Library. There is a meeting this Wednesday from 1:00-3:00 p.m. for any students interested in discussion on changes to make to the library, and a free lunch is included.

Climbing the Food Pyramid: SGA voted to approve stage-1 club recognition for Purple, the sustainable living club that is a catering service for Barnard clubs and hosts pop-up meals around Barnard’s campus. The club’s next big idea is to start a nomadic library around Barnard’s campus. Stage-1 recognized clubs can reserve space on campus for meetings and events and receive an advisor from Student Life. They also have an account in which they can deposit funds raised.

Blogging and Medicine 2.0: SGA voted to approve stage-2 club recognition of the Nine Ways of Knowing blog and the Network of Premedical Students. Stage-2 recognition allows a club to apply for an allocation from SGA.

1. yayy • March 6, 2012 at 11:17 am • Reply

hewitt’s getting a juice bar and a a WAFFLE BAR???!! delish.

2. Scentsy,Scentsy Candles,Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy,Buy Scentsy Products,Buy Scentsy Products Online,Buy Scentsy Candles,Buy Scentsy Wickless Candles,Buy Scentsy Online,Buy Scentsy Candles Online,Shop for Scentsy,Shop for Scentsy Products,Shop fo • April 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm • Reply

I found this site by accident, but had to read this post! I’ll be back! Thanks!