Spectrum | May. 11 4:14 pm EST
seas gets creative

SEAS Senior Design Projects: The weird and the wonderful

Image courtesy of Columbia University

A couple weeks ago, we brought you the infinite wisdom of CC 2014′s thesis writers. But SEAS seniors were  not about to be left behind—they geeked out and built some pretty cool stuff, including:

• A pedal-powered walking vehicle (Pedal Powered Strandbeest)—to live your laziest dreams of having someone do the walking for you.
  • A magnetic weight training machine (MagLift)—in case you need your workout everywhere you go.
  • An automatic toilet seat (The EZ Lift)—because didn’t you always want an automatic toilet seat in your co-ed EC suite?
  • [Trying to think of an appropriate  name] The Hydropotomous—”An autonomous hydroponic herb garden for urban living.” We might need them to explain this one to us.

On May 8, the teams showed off their Senior Design Projects at the Senior Design Day Expo. Check out the full list of projects here. Here’s a video of the Pedal Powered Strandbeest, the winner in the Mechanical Engineering department, which used more than 1,000 parts and is actually super cool. Check it:

1. anon • May 13, 2014 at 1:13 am • Reply

can we get a list of winners for all departments?

2. anonymous • May 14, 2014 at 9:08 pm • Reply

These reports are so biased.

Civil and Chemical Engineering all had the same design projects, so I understand why they weren’t included.

But why do you only have Mechanical Engineering Projects listed? Biomedical and Electrical were also involved in the expo.

Also, both Biomedical and Electrical (and Computer Science) are also ranked nationally much higher than Mechanical Engineering –they both at least make the top 20.

There were some cool projects in those departments as well.

3. Stubbendeck • June 24, 2014 at 11:43 pm • Reply

truck bed side rails

Follow the Market Trends: Your business proposal should match the market trends.
    Once you already know exactly what are the client (or perhaps you) wants, and the particular type of report they’re looking for,
    you happen to be willing to conduct your preliminary pre-report research.

bed rail protectors Differently (http://Scriptogr.Am/Boy37Tony/Post/-Bed-Rails) So, maintain the self-serving links or inappropriate
    content inside the body of your respective article with a minimum.
    It’s most helpful when the folks you’re dealing with can and will be honest along with you.