Spectrum | Jan. 26 2:43 pm EST
award nominations

Nominate a friend for the King’s Crown Leadership and Excellence Award

Wikimedia Commons

The nominations for the King’s Crown Leadership and Excellence Awards are due on Sunday, Feb. 2.

The awards are meant to recognize students in Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science “for leadership, cocurricular accomplishments, and noteworthy contributions to the Columbia community,” according to the Student Affairs website. If you know a CC or SEAS student who has made a difference at Columbia, nominate them! You never know what could happen.

Although only students in CC or SEAS can receive the award, students from any school can nominate someone. And the form really isn’t that bad, either. No verbose recommendation letters to write! Check it out here. Also, you could look through the previous winners here.

You could nominate somebody in one of the following categories:

Principled Action

Community Building

Columbia Spirit

Civic Responsibility

Innovation & Enhancement

Inclusion & Advocacy

Indelible Mark (left a lasting impression on the community)

Health & Wellness

There has been some controversy surrounding the King’s Crown Awards, in that some people have been known to solicit and campaign for nominations, undermining the intended nomination process.

Loxley Bennett, CC ’15 and one of the students on the King’s Crown Selection Committee, said in an email that while no formal rules condemning campaigning exist, it is certainly discouraged.

Still, Bennett noted a distinction between asking for nominations and campaigning for nominations, and he added that “the community can be a bit harsh on the people who win and those who ask for nominations as a form of validation.”

In the past, there have been concerns about the insular nature of the awards. While Bennett acknowledged those concerns, the best remedy, he said, is for more people to voice who they think should win.

“But at the end of the day, the selection committee is going to look at the nominations, weigh the contributions, and select the winners, so it’s the community’s responsibility to step up and nominate if they want a say in who wins,” Bennett said. “So, if you’re satisfied with who has won King’s Crown in the past, nominate.  And if you’re dissatisfied with who has won King’s Crown in the past, nominate.”

Nominate away!

1. beats by dre solo billig kaufen • March 18, 2014 at 4:08 am • Reply

You recognize therefore considerably with regards to this subject, produced me in my opinion imagine it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated except it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs great. Always take care of it up!
    beats by dre solo billig kaufen http://www.religionandnature.com/beats/beats-by-dre-solo-billig-kaufen.html