Spectrum | Sep. 22 4:11 pm EST
zenawi

Live from the Zenawi speech

We’re coming at you live from the highly-contested, protested, and counter-protested Zenawi speech in Roone Arledge. Keep checking back for updates.

5:06: Zenawi says he welcomes engagement, and he’s glad to see students caring enough to learn about Ethiopia. He says that Ethiopia is making progress, which everyone is invited to come see for themselves. And that’s a wrap!

5:03: No more questions. Zenawi will offer some closing remarks.

4:58: Q: What are your thoughts on term limits? A: Ethiopia has a parliamentary system, Zenawi’s saying. A parliamentary system is just as democratic as a presidential system. “In case you are wondering whether I will remain in power until kingdom come, i can assure you that this will be my last term in power.”

4:55: A questioner is railing against Zenawi, listing alleged crimes against humanity committed by Zenawi’s government. The questioner is asking how such crimes could have been committed within a democracy. Zenawi’s response: “I can understand how people have had an inadequate chance to consider the facts.”

4:53: Q: People call you a dictator. Do you have regrets about your tenure? A: No, he says. He believes he removed a brutal dictatorship and rebuilt Ethiopia. He’s very proud.

4:51: Q: What are you doing to improve relations with neighboring countries? A: He says Ethiopia has excellent relations with Sudan, Kenya, and the Somalian government. Just not with Al-Shabaab, an Islamist insurgency group.

4:45: Diouf just told two women in line to ask questions to go to the front of the line. All the people at the front of the line had been men. Explained Diouf: “Privilege of the moderator.”

4:39: Q: How is his regime different from the previous one? A: Under the last regime, people were killed without having access to courts. “That type of oppression is dead. Its finished. Its not coming back.”

4:37:: Question: Should we take you at your word when free press is restricted? (Applause.) Answer: He believes he’s done his fair share to fight oppressive systems.

4:36: Question: What do you think of the “gross national happiness” concept? Answer: Sounds interesting. He hasn’t really studied it.

4:34: Next question to Zenawi: What are your views on Iran? Answer: An arms race in the Middle East would be catastrophic. He’d support a dialogue to resolve the problem.

4:33: His answer: It’s 99.6% of all seats, not 99.6% of all votes. Ethiopia has a first-past-the-post system, which means you need just a little over 50% of the vote for each seat. His party is popular because he’s presided over seven years of growth, he says.

4:31: Mamadou Diouf, the head of Columbia’s Institute of African Affairs, is now coming on to conduct a Q&A session. First question: How is his party able to get 99.6% of vote in an election?

4:30: And…he’s done! He spoke for less than 20 minutes.

4:27:Africans have the choice now to generate growth themselves, Zenawi says. Africa is an “essential piece of the response” to the global economic crisis—the continent must keep producing and consuming goods to keep the engines of globalization running.

4:24: The room isn’t full. Maybe 20 open seats in the back.

4:22: People seem to have given up on Africa’s contribution to the global economy, he’s saying.

4:21: Here’s Zenawi speaking. Apologies for the mediocre quality.

4:16: Zenawi has begun speaking. The past several decades, he’s saying, have been bad ones for Africa.

4:11: Steele is now introducing professor Joseph Stiglitz, who will then introduce Zenawi.

4:09: Zenawi’s onstage. Provost Claude Steele is introducing him, describing the purpose of universities and the role of uninhibited dialogue. He’s emphasizing that Columbia doesn’t endorse the leaders it invites to the World Leaders Forum.

1. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm • Reply

The reporter should update the report now. The number comparing the two crowds will misinform readers. I have heard from friends at the spot that Ethiopians protesting the butcher Meles Zenawi have now flooded the street.

• ZekreYesus • September 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm • Reply

Who are Zenawi protestors? Are they all in search of DEMOCRACY? 3/4 of them are supporters of SHABIA (who declared Isayas Afeworki is “man of the year” of PLANET EARTH (Elias and Almariam), ONLF, OLF and ALSHABAB and and former Derg people. 1/4 of them have some issues ofcourse but with dangerous crowd.

• Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm •

Ye Meles Shermuta!!! afihin l—–

• The Truth • September 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm •

I could say 99.99% of Melse supporter are supporting this killer because they are narrow. Because he is from their ethnic origin.

We luv u! we luv u! gud job! gud job! For what? For abusing, robbing and killing Ethiopians! Simply nauseating! Disgusting! Totally Moronic!

• ZekreYesus • September 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm • Reply

I would say 3/4th of the protestors are protesting under the cover of democracy. These are editors of Eth.Review who declared Isayas Afeworki is man of the year of PLANET EARTH, ONLF, OLF, ALSHABAB and Derg Junta supporters. 1/4th of them will definitely have some issues ofcourse but with a very dangerous crowd.

• Anonymous • September 23, 2010 at 10:24 pm •

• Foolish West • September 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm • Reply

A university glorifying a man who drinks the blood of university students every year is utterly disturbing. Columbia should have done a little research on this brutal killer to find out how many university students he has killed before promoting him and giving him a stage for propaganda. I almost threw up when I heard Columbia was promoting this killer.

2. Baheilu • September 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm • Reply

Shame on Columbia !!
    zenawi is one of the world corrupts dictator .

3. Azeb Mesfin • September 22, 2010 at 4:13 pm • Reply

The Massive Arrests of October/November 2008
    The massive arrests of Oromos, which the EPRDF called ‘the crackdown’, was conducted from early in the morning to the evening of October 30, 2008. The arrests were without court warrants. Hundreds of heavily-armed federal police and anti-terrorist task force personnel were deployed for the mission in every corner of Addis Ababa city. It was a terror day for Addis Ababa city dwellers – a terror carried out by the government forces. The EPRDF terrorist group terrorized and arrested the following Oromo nationals. These are those arrested whose names I remember.

1. Eshetu Kitil … the owner of Hawi Hotel, arrested from his hotel office.
    2. Kebede Borena … the Deputy General Manager of Hilton Hotel, arrested from his home.
    3. Degen Borena … Kebede Borena’s brother and a businessman, arrested when he went to his brother’s house after hearing his brother had been arrested.
    4. Colonel Olani Jebesa … a retired military officer, arrested from his house.
    5. Wabe Haji … a legal adviser at the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia, arrested from his office.
    6. Degene Daba … the owner of a trucking business, arrested from his house.
    7. Roba Gedefa … an employee at the Niyala Insurancy Company, arrested from his office.
    8. Aberash Yadeta … an employee at the Oda Share Company, arrested from her office.
    9. Lelise Wodajo … an employee at the Ethiopian Television (ETV), arrested from her office.
    10. Hailu Delesa … a third-year Haromaya University student majoring in accounting, arrested from the university campus.
    11. Bayisa Husen … a student at Ambo High School, arrested from his house.
    12. Bekele Negeri … an owner of a small business, arrested from his house.
    13. Bogale Mosisa … a shopkeeper, arrested in Paisa area.
    14. Kabebo Faye … a retiree (70 years old) and a Board Member of the Mecha-Tulema Development and Welfare Association, arrested from his house; and he later died immediately after his release from Maikelawi.
    15. Bekele Jirata … the Secretary General of OFDM, arrested while going to the office (OFDM office).
    16. Husein Moga … a day laborer, arrested from his house.
    17. Yasin Jarso … a day laborer, arrested from his house.
    18. Zeynu Mohamad … a shopkeeper, arrested from his shop.
    19. Zerihun Wodajo … a renown Oromo artist, arrested from his house; and he was released from Maikelawi after one and half months detention.
    20. Asefa Tefera Dibaba … a well-known writer and a lecturer at Addis Ababa University; he was released from Maikelawi after one and half months of detention.
    21. Emiru Gurmesa … who had been released from Kaliti prison after 4 years of imprisonment without trial, and he was arrested and detained again in Maikelawi; he died immediately after his release from Maikelawi.
    22. Two women, whose names I have forgotten, were brought from Adama; they were released from Maikelawi after a month and half detention.
    23. Another young woman, detained with her 2-year-old baby; and she was released from Maikelawi after a month and half detention.
    24. Tolesa Wolde … a well-known lawyer, arrested in November 2008 from his private office.
    25. Abera Degefa … a Board Member of the Mecha-Tulema Development and Welfare Association and a Law lecturer at Addis Ababa University, arrested in November 2008.
    26. Tsehayi (whose surname I have forgotten) …. the owner of a pharmacy, arrested from his pharmacy; and, he was released from Maikelawi after two months.

There were many, whose names I do not remember, who were brought from different parts of the Oromia regional state and also from Amhara regional state’s Oromia zone, Kemise area. Three young Oromos, who were arrested in mid October from Kemise area, were first taken to the Afar regional state’s police station and tortured bitterly; with their hands tied, they were left naked to be bitten by mosquitoes for two weeks before they were brought to Maikelawi. Since then, no one knows their whereabouts.

Those abducted from other countries for torture and death
    Tesfahun Chemeda and Mesfin Abebe were abducted from Nairobi, Kenya, in 2007; and they were later detained in an unknown place for over two years without appearing in court until they were brought to Maikelawi and finally headed the charge list of the 16 Oromos of the March 31, 2010 decision.

Four Oromos, who were kidnapped in 2006 from Somaliland (Hargeisa), were also detained in Maikelawi for over two years; they were never taken to court. One of them was an old man of 60 years. No one knows what had happened and their whereabouts since then.

4. Azeb Mesfin • September 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm • Reply

shame on you

5. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 4:17 pm • Reply

Stigliz is an entreprenural scholar making money on the poor

6. Abdiibiyyaa1 • September 22, 2010 at 4:18 pm • Reply

The so called Columbia professors in the name of “freedom of speech”, just like wolf in the sheep guise, have invited this child killer under covert operation of personal greed, I say personal greed, Give me break about “freedom of speech” they have relationship with this Kleptcratic ruler.

7. Abdiibiyyaa1 • September 22, 2010 at 4:18 pm • Reply

Meles Zenawi, the beast, aka Crime minister of Ethiopia is responsible for death of millions as the result of system starvations, wide spread of systemic epidemic disease and thousands, thousands of them have perished as the result of live ammunition by Meles gangs, political prisoners/prisoners of conscience in infested dark prison cell, disappearance, torture, rape, thousands of flee from his ruthless dictatorial and kleptocratic regime etc.. He is solely responsible for human genocide in Ethiopia in general, in Oromia in particular.
    My heart goes out for those families/people who lost their family members, who are voiceless, always live on terror and horror as the result of Dictator Meles Zenawi,.
    I was very much disappointed with notion and virtue of inviting ruthless ruler, who ruled country at gun point with his thugs to be invited by university. Where is humanity? Where is morality? I guess, morality and humanity is grinded by personal greed, we are in state if low morality through out the world. Columbia University so called professors are not immune from such that low morality. In their mind, the greed is at it’s highest peak.
    What is the point to make, what is the point to teach student, to present with the very enemy of” freedom of speech”, praised, given free ride to speak at university. In My opinion, such prestigious University supposed to be the engine and vanguard of humanity, justice, fairness and that advocate for well being of fellow humans across globe.
    I kind of sense that, these whole thing is not driven by “freedom of speech” I think also driven by personal greed who has relation with this dictator regime. Besides low morality in this century, this world is very much troubled by personal greed; it took great toll on humans. The current economic melt down is live witness to that.
    One thing I am sure is that, when ever I sent my kids, happen to be @ Columbia university, I will make sure not to listen to hypocrisy of ”freedom of speech” lectured by so called professors that invited this child killer. The hands of Meles is tinted /painted with thousands of innocent children blood. Those below the grave ,if they have one( because their dead body is fed to wild beast like they did to 14yrs old girl at Gara suufii, east Oromia), let their soul cry out for low morality of So called Columbia university Professors from the grave, Shame on low morality and greed of Columbia University Professors.

8. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm • Reply

Provost Claude Steele said Columbia doesn’t endorse the leaders it invites to the World Leaders Forum.<<<<i like this – sounds honest

9. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:21 pm • Reply

We know that J. Sachs and J. Stiglitz are doing bussiness of self-aggrandizment in the name of the prestigeous institution. They are brokering for African blood suckers, merchandising their fame, to the detriment of the African poor. Shame on them!

10. BRUCK • September 22, 2010 at 4:21 pm • Reply

PLZ UPDATE THE INFO ON THE NUMBER OF PROTESTERS.

11. Ethiopia • September 22, 2010 at 4:24 pm • Reply

I think Professor Joseph Stiglitz and Jefrey Sacs they let the Democratic PM Meles have the forum as a key note speaker of Colombia University as a favor.

Professor Joseph Stiglitz and Jefrey Sacs your snub of the crimes of the Democratic PM Meles is amazing. I wonder how much he will pay you for your favors when that day comes and you become his consultants to help him keep cooking his economic data?

Dear Columbia University students take a look at http://www.ethiopiantragedy.com and figure out what you would learn from the Democratic PM Meles credentials and experience those that qualified him as a favorite of Professor Joseph Stiglitz and Jefrey Sacs.

12. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm • Reply

We know that he is a consummate liar. He unflichinly tells white lie. He is as canny as a prostitute. Ethiopians are fed up of his white lies for the past 25 years. He promised that all Ethiopians will eat twice a day 15 years ago. After 20 years 10 millions Ethiopians are suffering from recurrent drought and famine. Of course, this doesn’t include his tribal village.

13. BRUCK • September 22, 2010 at 4:28 pm • Reply

can imagine the audience asking these questions:

Mr. Zenawi, what is the special magical spell you used to win the May 2010 election by 99.6 percent? Answer: “Say ‘abracadabra’ ten times while holding a rabbit’s foot in the left hand at the crack of dawn.”
    When will you stop trashing the human rights of Ethiopian citizens? Answer: “As soon as you tell me when they started having human rights.”

Why do you lie about double-digit economic growth by using cooked up numbers from your Central Statistics office?[1] Answer: “There are ‘lies and plausible lies’. Our statistics are of the latter variety.”

Why did you shut down all distance education programs in the country? Answer: “Because education is overrated.”

Why did you wipe out the private independent media in the country? Answer: “They don’t like me.”

Do you really believe the Voice of America is the same as Rwanda’s genocide Radio Mille Collines? Answer: “VOA, VOI (Voice of Interhamwe). It all sounds the same to me.”

What do you think of your critics in the U.S.? Answer: “They are all friggin extremists in the Diaspora. I can’t stand them. Why? Oh! Why don’t they like me?!?”

Do you believe in the rule of law? Answer: “Yep! I am it.”

When will you release Birtukan Midekssa, the only woman political party leader in Ethiopian history, from prison? Answer: “‘There will never be an agreement with anybody to release Birtukan. Ever. Full stop. That’s a dead issue.’”

“If there are no more questions, I am outta here!”

Just at that moment, I can imagine President Bollinger leaping to his feet with index finger wagging in righteous indignation and proclaiming: “Mr. Prime Minister, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator.”

Aratkilo • September 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm • Reply

14. king alexander • September 22, 2010 at 4:30 pm • Reply

It is amazing Meles Zenawi who killed Ethiopian University students again and again respectfully invited to the great Colombia University. WHAT A SHAME

15. arsema-mariam • September 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm • Reply

meles killer,,,,………killer….hodammmmm

• sam • September 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm • Reply

meles is our hero and you must be one of the Eritrian loser

• arsema-mariam • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm •

ante hodam banda ….lekuskus

16. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:31 pm • Reply

Under direct order of Zenawi, his snipers killed innocent children and women as well as teenegers. The man you see infront of you is Ethiopias Hitler! No matter how sweet or smart he sounds. That doesn’t mean he is innocent. Be wise and read your own state depart report!!

17. getye belay • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

Soon Ethiopia shall prevail

18. abebeShem • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

Melese is known to be a pathological liar, I do not know what is there to learn from him , he should be given a therapy by Dr. Phil. Shame on you columbia

19. Abera • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

meles should be arrested for crime against humanity, not speaking invention from Columbia.

20. hanna3-1 • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

Dead fish melse child killers shame on you

21. Mesafint A • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

Those of you who invites this dictator are as dictator as him shame on you

22. meles dauter • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

may father is bucher he is killer he lerne me haw to kill ethiopians shame on my father

23. Zeregna Yitfa • September 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm • Reply

I wonder if Hitler will be aforded the freedom of speech at the Columbia University stage ?

24. yonas • September 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm • Reply

Meles is a killer…he should not welcomed here.

25. Clueless • September 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm • Reply

Shame on you Columbia U for hosting such a a so called leader thanks to his handlers.

26. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 4:33 pm • Reply

its a shame that the colombian university has invited the genocide killer meles zenawi to make a speech.

27. Goytom • September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm • Reply

Meles Zenawi is genawu so wie Hitler.

28. Zelalm • September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm • Reply

Please foreginers, hand off from endorsing our dictator leader Meles Zenawi, we have better what best for us……

29. selam walachiw • September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm • Reply

i am shamed columbia universty becouse of they invited dictator killer primeminster meles zenawy,he is one of killer

30. Robel • September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm • Reply

shame on u colombia meles is killer shame shame on uuuuuuuuu

31. bellu • September 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm • Reply

oh stand body i see hodam banda tomany people hwere is the ethiopiaw

32. abebeShem • September 22, 2010 at 4:35 pm • Reply

Melese is a killer, he should be in Hague answering for his crime not in Columbia. Shame on you Columbia Stieglitz and Sachs,

33. bola • September 22, 2010 at 4:35 pm • Reply

shame on u columbia university

34. amertiye • September 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm • Reply

35. bela nigus • September 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm • Reply

what a shame colombia invited this dictator killer zenawi shame on u

36. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

meles replies confusingly –be careful guys 99.6 is regerssionally inclusive

37. sam • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

ALL OF YOU LOSERS

MELES AND EPRDF ARE UN STOPABLE AND YOU SHOULD JUST GIVE UP

• arsema-mariam • September 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm • Reply

sam u die soon ante banda le hod ader leba zeregna

38. Biyya IBISSAA • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

Melese Zenawi ; is a dictator who kills ethiopian people based on diffrenet political views. He is against democracy by any definition.What universitty students learn from him ;only to be faschist

39. A-B-K • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

SHAME ON U COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY TO INVITE KILLER MELES

40. solomon • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

shame on u colombia, inviting Meles one of the worst killers in the history of ethiopia, if not from Africa.

41. Getaachew • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

Melse should stand trial in court of justice for the numerous crime he committed for the last 30 Years, not in Columbia. Shame on all who invited him

42. jemeberu meteka • September 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm • Reply

shame on you columbia university!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shame shame shame!!!!

43. belaye • September 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm • Reply

44. mentsnot hailu • September 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm • Reply

Melese is killer sheme of Colunbia uni

45. telenor • September 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm • Reply

Shame for the host of a killer, butcher and bloodsucker.shame !!!

46. satenaw • September 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm • Reply

It is unbelievable to see the University of Colombia to give such an opportunity to the killer and dictator man from Ethiopia. SHAME ON YOU

47. Alemzerf • September 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm • Reply

shame on you . you are criminal,killer,,,,!!!

48. hale • September 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm • Reply

semhal meles your father is kiler my mather arested by your father becouse of she speek the truth shame on yorur father

49. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:40 pm • Reply

His answer: It’s 99.6% of all seats, not 99.6% of all votes. This wat I am talking about sweat talk!!!! How is it possible a country of more than 80,000,000 will elect 99.6% in a free country.
    I amsure the nive people in the all belived this liar

50. ethio lover • September 22, 2010 at 4:40 pm • Reply

Question needs to be asked for meles zenawi why is he jamming VOA and ESAT?

51. Dogian • September 22, 2010 at 4:40 pm • Reply

It is pathetic. I would expect the president speaks truth to the dictator’s face, challenge Melese’s lie and makes clear university’s stand on this tyrant.

Dogian,

52. kassu • September 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm • Reply

Columbia university I am appalled by your invitation of the dictator Meles to give a speech in your famous institution !! Meles should be brought by force to the ICC in Haigue !! Has ordered the massacre of more than 200 peacful demonstrators in the 2005 election !! His brutal military forces have masacered thousands in Gambella !! Bertukuan Medeksa and many thousands languish in his prisons unjustly

53. Dan • September 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm • Reply

What Colombia Univerisy doing by inviting racist and dictator Monster Meles zenawi for presentation. what a shame and immoral exercise. Meles is not only dictator, but also racist by excluding 75m peole by dividing and rule policy. By the way the world didn’t recognise that Meles is Eritean. He is not Ethiopian. How many people are killed by this monster since he has been in power. He should be in international criminal court, not at Colombia University.

He also monopolised more than 60% of the Ethiopian economy by estabishing more than 600 industries by various name in the name of Efort. Worls pls wake up and stand with Ethiopian people for this freedom fighting. God bless united Ethiopia!

54. arife 12 • September 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm • Reply

meles killer —————-killer——–devilse

55. diebu • September 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm • Reply

mr.melese is the worst mafia and killer.
    http://myfxadvice.com forex trading system

56. motbaynor • September 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm • Reply

MELES ZENAWI THE MOST MONSTER BUTCHER OF AFRICA HIS PLACE IS NOT IN USA BUT HIAG PRISON WITH CHARLES TELER OF LAIBERIA
    47 000 ETIOPIAN CHILDEREN IN PRISON OF ETHIOPIA JUST FOR THEAR OPINIONS
    GOD BLESS ETHIOPIA GOD BLESS USA

57. Hagos Mebratu • September 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm • Reply

Meles you can not hidden your self any more, in the Name of TPLF.you are the right hand of Shabia .you will see it, we Tigreans would be cuch you as Genocide criminals at any time and any place.

58. Teshome • September 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm • Reply

shame on those who have invited the bucher, long live to the Ethiopian People’s resistance aganist the Tigray Colonial Empire.

59. Deme Merrara • September 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm • Reply

Protest and counter protest. Where will it take us? G7 promised us to remove the fascist Meles and his team in a matter of months. (To be exact 6 Months!!) Forget removing, they even could not stop him from coming to this world forum. Guys please do not promise promises that are beyond your reach. By doing so, you are harming the struggle. As a matter of fact, we should unit and show his hosts what a force we are. It is unfortunate we cannot unit against such stupid anti Ethiopian element, Crime Minster Legesse (Z)Chenawi

60. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm • Reply

Pure lie, read state department report

61. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm • Reply

Crime minster Meles to the hague.he is a child killer

62. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm • Reply

what he replies is the opposite.

63. NE • September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm • Reply

The people of Ethiopia have been suffering so much because of the tyrant MELES. Why on earth Columbus University invites this killer, it is a shame and an insult for us Ethiopians who are suffering under this brutal government.

Shame on you!!

64. Getahun • September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm • Reply

shame on you colombia university.

Meles is a dictater and killer of Ethiopian people. he should not be invited to deliver speach at this great university. sorry to say that but if Hitler is alive today i can say that colombia university invits him to deliver speach. meles is a butcher, what he did to ethiopian people is similar to that what hitler did in europe. once again shame on you colombia university.

God bless ethiopia

Free Birtukan mideksa and thousands of all polotical prisioners.

65. Allen Smith • September 22, 2010 at 4:43 pm • Reply

Last Updated: Thursday, 19 October 2006, 07:35 GMT 08:35 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Ethiopian protesters ‘massacred’

The report says that 193 people were killed in two waves of protests
    Ethiopian police massacred 193 protesters in violence following last year’s disputed elections, an independent report says.
    It said the government used “excessive force” to crack down on protesters who claimed the elections had been rigged.

Ethiopian security forces said 58 people, including seven police, had died during an attempted revolution.

Ethiopian judge Wolde-Michael Meshesha, who carried out the investigation, has since fled the country.

66. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm • Reply

Interesting, the main different between his regime and Derg’s regime is he bring people to Kangaroo court before killling them

67. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm • Reply

Thank you C S for this update!!!

Don’t forget that who ever posting this live update where in Ethiopia you would be arrested

68. Darius • September 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm • Reply

Inviting a low life scumbag speaks volumes what the university is all about. It all comes down to what whites ( Anglo-Saxons to be more exact) think of non-whites(blacks). What is new?
    Meles is no less monster that Hitler was.

69. Mekonnen • September 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm • Reply

Dictator and child killer meles has to face internation court

70. SAMRAWIT • September 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm • Reply

DEAR PRESADENT OF COLOMIA UNIVERSITY

TO DAY IS SAD DAY TO ALL ETHIOPIANS
    MELES ZENAWI IS A KILLER
    MELES ZENAWI IS SAILER OF ETHIOPIA
    MELES MUST NOT IN THESE UNIVERSITY
    MELES IS JUST BAD UN HUMAN

71. Eyob • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

Shame Columbia University……if you don’t spend time to make research who Meles is all about……We love our country but hate the killer and the most dictator the so called prime minster of Ethiopia…Shame if Coulombia Unniversity kept silent the genocide action of Meles Zenawi..and could be considered as a promotion of the prime minster by especial group for their own interst….but that is not the interst of the millions of ethiopians…. He killed, imprisioned, and soforth a lot….

72. teshom mekonen • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

it is shame for columbia you should know better than this this guy is killing ppl in ethiopia as he speeks he worst than al basher of sudan

73. emahoye • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

74. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

Interesting, the main difference between his regime and Derg’s regime is that in his regime people are brought to Kangaroo court before being killed

75. ethio lover • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer.

76. ethio lover • September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm • Reply

Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer.

77. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm • Reply

Shame on you Columbia..
    Thank you spectrum for up to date reporting.

78. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm • Reply

He is one of the top enemies of free press

79. MOHAMED ADEM • September 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm • Reply

TO DAY IS A BLACK DAY FOR ALL ETHIOPIA
    MELES ZENAWI IS THE KILLER OF CHILDEREN

80. Seble-wongel mekuria • September 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm • Reply

MELES IS A KILLER ! ! ! ! SHAME ON COLUMBIA

81. wega wega • September 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm • Reply

crime minster mels zenawi is one of the centuery’s dictators. I dont know in what prniciple Mr,Bolinger of colembia unvirsty invite this tyrant,child kiler, recist,lier and the most ugly leder of ethiiopian crime minster to respected universty.todyes’ demonsteration is very amezing we peoud of all ethiopian heros who partcipate in this unti-weyane dimonsteration. long life for true ethiopian and dathe to weyane

82. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm • Reply

How premitive we are, one kill thousands and walk freely in America?

83. prince 779 • September 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm • Reply

SHAME ON U COLUMBIA INVITING MELLS THE KILLER WHAT SHAME

84. ALPAH • September 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm • Reply

meles Zenawi is a killer there is no human right in Ethiopia zenawi is killing a lot of Ethiopian people , Zenawi shut down all distance education programs in the country, including those providing higher education and technical training to over 75,000 students in flagrant violation of the applicable laws of the country on the pretext that such programs were interested “only in collecting only in collecting money.”WHAT A SHAME President Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University in inviting killier meles zenawi

85. enbi-leweyane • September 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm • Reply

colombia universty invited meles for these reasens 1.the two proffesers who sponser weyane are racists .they dont care for the lifes of african people in particular ,for the black people in general. 2.meles is their serevant who does their shamefull work in somalia ,killing innocent people.
    About the croud supporting weyane are 95% TIGRES: BUT ETHIOPIA BELONGS TO ALL PEOPLE NOT ONLY FOR TIGRES:IT IS SHAME WEYANE TIGRES AND SOME HODAMS:

86. konjit • September 22, 2010 at 4:50 pm • Reply

87. ethio lover • September 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm • Reply

Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer.

88. Metaferia • September 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm • Reply

Inviting Melese Zenawi to Columbia is amounts to rubbing the wounds of his victims by salt. I wonder if Columbia in the name of academic freedom or free speech will invite Mugabe to deliver a speech.

89. Allen Smith • September 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm • Reply

EU monitors slam Ethiopia polls

Observers say weekend elections favoured the ruling party of Prime Minister Zenawi.

Last Modified: 25 May 2010 10:54
    Email ArticlePrint ArticleShare ArticleSend Feedback

EU observers said the elections were conducted on an “uneven playing field” and favoured the EPRDF [Afp]

The European Union’s chief election observer in Ethiopia has said that last weekend’s poll was conducted on an “uneven playing field” that favoured the party of the prime minister.

Ethiopia’s ruling party, the Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) won the elections, according to preliminary results.

But the EU observers said on Tuesday that while voting was calm and orderly, the election was held in “a narrowing political space” that favoured the ruling party of Prime Minister Meles Zenawi in Sunday’s legislative polls.

“The European Union observation mission considers that the playing field for the 2010 election was not sufficiently balanced, leaning in favour of ruling party in many areas,” Thijs Berman told journalists.

Analysts had widely predicted that Zenawi would triumph in the polls, with some reports suggesting that opposition groups did not believe they had any chance of beating the incumbant coalition.

In the country’s elections in 2005, a post-poll government crackdown on opposition protests led to the deaths of almost 200 people. Earlier on Tuesday, Zenawi called for international recognition of the povisional results to avoid fresh protests.

“The people’s vote will not be overturned by foreign forces,” Zenawi said. “Some of our foreign friends have disappointed us but that’s in the past. We urge them now to give recognition to the people’s vote. The politics of hate is out. Not one life should be lost in post-election riots.”

90. Hirpa Geleta • September 22, 2010 at 4:52 pm • Reply

It is sad to see the great university to appease a dictator like Meles Zenawi. He is a notorious dictator at the moment in the whole of the African Continent. Appeasing dictators of the Meles kind and talking about the respect of human rights and promoting good governance in the developing countries is something doesn’t go together. You need to tell the dictators what they are, not appeasing for their ill doings against their innocent citizens. Sad sad and sad to see this child killer to be invited in your university.This is an insult to the Ethiopian people. Shame on you!!!!!!

91. Zegeye.Dilu • September 22, 2010 at 4:52 pm • Reply

Its a disgraceful for Columbia University inviting one of the most brutal regimes in Africa called Melss Zenawi. Zenawi has rigged the last 5 elect ions by killing innocent people on the street. The last election 2010 zenawi declared that he has won 99.6%. never ever seen in the history of election. This was only happened in Iraq when it was ruled by Saddam. Therefore Zenawi must be put in Saddam Hussen’s leg . I strongly ask you to red your state departement repot.

92. James Wolfe • September 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm • Reply

Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer. Meles is a killer.

93. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm • Reply

He openly admitted that the very much touted economic growth was meant only to justify his fake victory in the sham election. Meles will not get a single vote under a fair and democractic election

94. hanna3-1 • September 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm • Reply

melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is chilmelse is child killer, killer,melse is child killer ,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,
    melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,melse is child killer,

95. king of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 4:54 pm • Reply

96. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm • Reply

He is already in power for 20 years. How on earth people doubt that he is a despot.

97. t.bekle tessema • September 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm • Reply

Meles Zenawi is akiler.

98. kul • September 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm • Reply

Real killer in action!!!!!!!

99. Girma Zelleke • September 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm • Reply

It is sad to see this brutal dictator to be invited to make speech on respected University like yours. It is an insult to the innocents languishing in his prisons in their thousands and the millions being starved year in year out. The child killer should only be invited to the Hague Intenational Justice Court for his mass killings and the well recorded genocide crime. Shame on you to appease this brute of Africa to make your guest speaker. Shame shame shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:57 pm • Reply

Can you ask him how on earth he is still in power after 20 years and don’t consider himself a dictator

101. Dan • September 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm • Reply

Mele is selling our land to foreginers by displacing the local farmers and you can see his action recenly by devaluing local currency by 20% – this has destitute the Ethiopians and Meles group can accumulate dollar to by ammunition to kill and suppress our people.

102. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm • Reply

A questioner is railing against Zenawi, listing alleged crimes against humanity committed by Zenawi’s government. The questioner is asking how such crimes could have been committed within a democracy. Zenawi’s response: “I can understand how ppl have had inadequate chance to consider the facts.” <<<<happy now

103. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm • Reply

The facts of his crime has been gathered by indipendent grouopos such as ‘Americas state department’

104. kul • September 22, 2010 at 4:59 pm • Reply

OMG!!!!! He said he is proud of being a dictator!!!

105. Face Facts • September 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm • Reply

Let’s Face Facts
    It seems that from the very beginning, EPRDF’s leadership stood on shaky moral
    ground. How then could the very same group – who had so egregiously violated all
    democratic principles to attain power – be expected to setup a genuine democracy in
    Ethiopia?
    Indeed, the abuse of power and democracy by the Weyane leadership reached new heights following the creation of EFFORT ,their looted wealth .In the bigninning Weyane leaders projected themselves as heroes, freedom fighters, and champions of the freedom cause. However, no one was permitted to speak openly against their undemocratic rules,abuse of power,discrimination,torture.
    In other words, the right to free speech was no longer permissible.
    The EPRDF also hit a new low with regards to its handling of political opponents, from
    character assassination to political victimization. According to different sources, Human rights watch, African Union,European Union, even the well respected news sources have revealed and documented the facts, the undemocratic actions were evident .Furthermore, the Government rigorously manipulated the facts to create an erroneous image of nationalist leaders (who had opposed ). A slew of propaganda was unleashed against leaders that had opposed the EPRDF . Birtukan Mideksa, and most ethiopians asking for freedom,rule of law was among the victims of this policy and was repeatedly harassed and arrested by the Government. For
    instance, in order to prevent her from playing any role in the 2010 May elections, the
    Weyane’s Government arrested Birtukan Mideksa and kept under detention for an indefinite period.
    I wish you all be conscios to face facts, stand for facts, truth !!!!

106. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm • Reply

Dictator!!!!!

107. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 5:01 pm • Reply

Time to say bye bye to Columbia university. Once again Meles is happy as he hasn’t faced any difficult questions againest his many crimes

108. Dan • September 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm • Reply

Meles to keep his power in Ethiopia, he is using Chinese people to mfight Ethiopians as his tribes Tigrians are only 5% of the total poulation. As you know his party is TPLF which is only Tigray tribes who has Tigray blood can be a member of this party. Imagine you are classified by Tribe rather than your opionon to be member of party to led Ethiopia which has more than 70 tribes. Who do you think leave power by vote to the other tribes to lead the country. The bottom line is Ethiopia don’t need a party based on tribes as the coutry has more than 70 tribes.

109. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm • Reply

i can assure you that this will be my last term in power. that what he said to BBC jounalist 5 years ago

110. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm • Reply

Last term my kit , my laster term, been said long time, bastard wich and beast meles

111. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm • Reply

The usuall empty smarty answers. He makes every lie even contradicting himself just to win the day.

112. Emi • September 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm • Reply

Melese is a despot and killer. just for example, in one of his worst crimes,he orderd the killing of193 innocent people in Addis. He confessed that on national tv.The facts are there for anyone to see it.I really do not get it why Columbia missed that glaring fact. What is the the gian for the academic discourse if the guy is a hopeless pathological lair. The guy should be sent to Hague to answer for his crimes not to Columbia. Shame on you who invited him.

113. YABI -H • September 22, 2010 at 5:05 pm • Reply

Mr. Elyassa Godberg , pls check your facts the demonstration out side the pro NAZI group are higher??? are u on the payroll too ? they are 50-60 ppl v 800-1000+ opposition . wow I am wondering how much role the K strett lobiest have?????

114. Tergume • September 22, 2010 at 5:06 pm • Reply

There is a simple truth on the great leader of Ethiopia – PM Meles Zenawi.
    1. He changes the country’s image both inside and outside. In Ethiopia, the mindset of the people develops and adopts a life where one can achieve or secure through working hard and acquiring skills so that a person can dream of a good life in the path of change. For me, it such an incredible change where by during the previous regimes that no one had a dream of living a better life or for that matter creating wealth. I would be so lame if I would compare Meles’s administration with that of the previous one. In all standards and measures, one is a better position to compare Meles’s achievement and the country’s developmental growth in every sector.

2. The Prime Minster is an icon of change, intellect and to sum up in a simple word ” the 21st Century Strategist and Visionary African Leader” I think many would agree on the statement that the PM is one and the only African leader who can envision, strategize the new Africa and become the model of the many who want to invest their time and knowledge in the continent.

3. One can be a wittiness the level of economic development in Ethiopia. Simply, a farmer in Ethiopia can tell the success story in a simple language. Education, Basic Health Services, Access to agricultural extensions, Road access, Power, Telecommunication – and to least a few. I can’t enumerate the many areas of sectors which has registered sound growth. Service Sector, Manufacturing and Agriculture. Please refer to the IMF and World Bank Country Report to be fair.

115. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm • Reply

Shame on you Columbia for inviting him.

116. Face Facts • September 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm • Reply

Let’s Face Facts
    democratic principles to attain power – be expected to setup a genuine democracy in Ethiopia?
    Indeed, the abuse of power and democracy by the Weyane leadership reached new
    heights following the creation of EFFORT ,their looted wealth .In the bigninning
    Weyane leaders projected themselves as heroes, freedom fighters, and champions
    of the freedom cause. However, no one was permitted to speak openly against their
    undemocratic rules,abuse of power,discrimination,torture.
    In other words, the right to free speech was no longer permissible.The EPRDF also hit a new low with regards to its handling of political opponents, from character assassination to political victimization. According to different sources, Human rights
    watch, African Union,European Union, even the well respected news sources have
    revealed and documented the facts, the undemocratic actions were vident.
    Furthermore, the Government rigorously manipulated the facts to create an
    erroneous image of nationalist leaders (who had opposed ). A slew of propaganda
    was unleashed against leaders that had opposed the EPRDF . Birtukan Mideksa, and most ethiopians asking for freedom,rule of law was among the victims of this policy
    and was repeatedly harassed and arrested by the Government. For instance, in order to prevent her from playing any role in the 2010 May elections, the Weyane’s Government arrested Birtukan Mideksa and kept under detention for an indefinite
    period.

117. Hizb Balew • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

It is really a humiliation for the fame of the University of Columbia to invite Meles Zenawi,
    a Fashist, Racist and a killer Mafiosi in one person. Your invitation has nothing to do neither with Freedom of Expession nor with Academic Freedom.
    Mr. J.Sachs, Mr. L.C. Bollinger, and Mr. J. Stiglitz, in all three of you, I see one common thing:- German origin (NAZI PAST???)
    Dear Sirs, I see no other reason why you associate yorself with this genocidier. I wish you all three that your children and/or grand children to live under him.

118. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

5:03: And that’s a wrap! No more questions. Zenawi will offer some closing remarks.

That is it the dictator, the child killer, the operesor has the chance to wrap it up! I am happy to belive in God as I truly belive that this man will be juged by God and he will pay for his crimes. May God bless Ethiopia and all humans who belive in freedom and value of human life. That is my last remark!

119. ALPAH • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

SHAME ON YOU President Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University in inviting killier meles zenawi
    MELES ZENAWI IS A CHAILD KILLER HOW COME YOU INVITING KILLER TO GIVE SPEAK IN COLUMBIA UNIVERSTY IS THAT HOW COLUMBIA UNIVERSTY EDUCATE YOUNG GENERATION TO SERVE AMERICA ?

120. Selamawit • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

Would have been better if they didn’t invite him or else they should have let Ethiopian journalists ask him the questions cuz they know what he did and what they should ask him.

121. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

That is all??? Is this the kind of idea exchange from which students are supposed to get some knowledge or lesson? Shame on you J.Sachs and J.Stiglitz. You are now exposed – it is clear what the motives of all this meeting were – the merchandize the new brand dictator called Meles. Your unsatiable lust for self-aggrandizment has put a dent on the history of the prestigeous institution.

122. Dan • September 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm • Reply

Meles aslo killed more than 70 thousand Ethiopians in the name of false war between Eritearia ans Tigrai to exploite Ethiopian resource. He should be at international prision, not at Colombia University. He is a corrupted dictator. Colombia Universitry students and staffs, please be with the poor Ethiopian people. Ethiiopians are not poor by their nature, they are poor because of this kind of racist and monster killer

123. Micky • September 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm • Reply

Let’s get something straight: Colombia has the right to invite any political leader to it’s university. That’s freedom of speech and it should be something that we as Ethiopians should all aspire to in our country.
    HOWEVER calling this brutish dictator a “seasoned” one is something they will regret doing very dearly in the future years to come. How cansuch a renowned university make such a collosal mistake?? I still am not sure. What I am fairly certain about is that someone in that university either made a huge mistake or there’s someone important in Colombia that has been infiltrated. Either way, this has brought considerable amount of shame to that University and fair publicity to the Ethiopian cause.
    “Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
    Get up, stand up: don’t give up the fight!
    Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!
    Get up, stand up: don’t give up the fight!” Bob Marley.

124. Tefera • September 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm • Reply

That is all??? Is this the kind of idea exchange from which students are supposed to get some knowledge or lesson? Shame on you J.Sachs and J.Stiglitz. You are now exposed – it is clear what the motives of all this meeting were – to merchandize the new brand dictator called Meles. Your unsatiable lust for self-aggrandizment has put a dent on the history of the prestigeous institution.

125. Meheret • September 22, 2010 at 5:14 pm • Reply

Thank you Elyssa Goldberg, Meheret from London!

126. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 5:16 pm • Reply

Was that it all?Only one question asked? Only one strong question asked—-i.e.
    ”A questioner is railing against Zenawi, listing alleged crimes against humanity committed by Zenawi’s government. The questioner is asking how such crimes could have been committed within a democracy. Zenawi’s response: “I can understand how people have had an inadequate chance to consider the facts.”

127. Abdiibiyyaa1 • September 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm • Reply

I was very much disappointed with notion and virtue of inviting ruthless ruler, who ruled country at gun point with his thugs to be invited by university. Where is humanity? Where is morality? I guess, morality and humanity is grinded by personal greed, we are in state of low morality through out the world. Columbia University so called professors are not immune from such that low morality. In their mind, the greed is at it’s highest peak.

128. Alamerew • September 22, 2010 at 5:17 pm • Reply

Thank you Elyssa Goldberg

129. Abdiibiyyaa1 • September 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm • Reply

yeah, Elyssa Goldberg for update, i wish there was live video too.

130. Anonymous • September 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm • Reply

Thank you Elyssa Goldberg.

131. Allen Smith • September 22, 2010 at 5:32 pm • Reply

Jefery Sachs is in the payroll of Meles Zenawi just like DLA Piper and other lobbyist like congressmen-turned-lobbyists–former House Majority Leaders Richard Armey, the Republican from Texas getting paid $50,000 a month.
    http://www.harpers.org/archive/2007/07/hbc-90000631

132. entebaber • September 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm • Reply

Meles Zenawi is killer. ………..Meles Zenawi is killer……….. Meles Zenawi is killer.

133. Hana • September 22, 2010 at 5:33 pm • Reply

dear editor,

my friends in newyork are telling me many eritreans are posing as “ethiopians” to protest against meles zenawi. let us not forget we had war between the two countries.

the protest is no more between ethiopians. it is between pro-meles ethiopians and anti-meles eritreans!!!!

134. Minilik • September 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm • Reply

The situation we encountered today, an organized and a well-intentioned self-serving to fetching their long standing interest through such western institution (like Colombia Uni.), the so called scholars (like Stieglitz and Sachs) and governments, is not came to surprise us; we Ethiopian in particular knew the motive behind such blatant appease of a well-documented war criminal, dictator and layer Zenawi as the history thought us. One thing those institution should know that the time is coming very soon to claim back our country as we did to resist colonials and being the symbol of freedom for Africa.

135. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 5:47 pm • Reply

Shame on you Präsident Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University in einladenden killier
    Meles Zenawi, Kindermörder ,
    Melese ist ein Killer , Shame on you Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi ist wie Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi genawu So Wie Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi ist wie Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi genawu So Wie Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi ist wie Hitler.

136. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:04 pm • Reply

Shame on you, President Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University, inviting killie
    Meles Zenawi, child killer,
    Melese is a killer, Shame on you Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi is like Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi is like Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi is like Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi is like Hitler.

137. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:07 pm • Reply

Hävetkää, presidentti Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University, jossa killie
    Meles Zenawin lapsi tappaja,
    Melese on tappaja, Hävetkää Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi on kuin Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi on kuin Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi on kuin Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi on kuin Hitler.

138. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:11 pm • Reply

Shame op jou, president Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia Universiteit, nooi killie
    Meles Zenawi, kind moordenaar,
    Melese is ‘n moordenaar, skande op jou Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi, is soos Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi, is soos Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi, is soos Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi, is soos Hitler

139. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:16 pm • Reply

Honte à vous, le président Lee C. Bollinger, l’Université de Columbia, en invitant killie
    Meles Zenawi, tueur d’enfants,
    Melese est un tueur, honte à vous l’Université de Columbia
    Meles Zenawi est comme Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi est comme Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi est comme Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi est comme Hitl

140. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm • Reply

عار عليك ، الرئيس لي جيم باند ، جامعة كولومبيا ، ودعوة killie
    ميليس زيناوي ، قاتل الأطفال ،
    ميليسي هو القاتل ، عار عليكم جامعة كولومبيا
    ملس زيناوي مثل هتلر.
    ملس زيناوي مثل هتلر.
    ملس زيناوي مثل هتلر.
    ملس زيناوي مثل هتلر.

141. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:44 pm • Reply

Как вам не стыдно, президент Lee C. Bollinger, Колумбийский университет, приглашая Килли
    Мелес Зенауи ребенка убийцей,
    Мелеса это убийца, вам не стыдно Колумбийского университета
    Мелес Зенауи, как Гитлер.
    Мелес Зенауи, как Гитлер.
    Мелес Зенауи, как Гитлер.
    Мелес Зенауи, как Гитлер

142. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm • Reply

Skäms på er, president Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University, inbjudande killie
    Meles Zenawi, barn mördare,
    Melese är en mördare, Fy skäms Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi är som Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi är som Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi är som Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi är som Hitler.

143. King of abissenia • September 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm • Reply

Vergogna su di voi, il presidente Lee C. Bollinger, Columbia University, invitando killie
    Meles Zenawi, killer dei bambini,
    Melese è un assassino, vergogna su di voi la Columbia University
    Meles Zenawi è come Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi è come Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi è come Hitler.
    Meles Zenawi è come Hitler.

144. Spectrum editors, • September 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm • Reply

Spectrum editors,

For sake of clarity and accountability, could you
    please ask Professor Joseph and Professor Sachs
    what was the intentions and merits of the invitation?

Please do this journalistic duty and responsibility, as
    you’ve done so far superbly. Thank you and in the free
    world it’s the journalists that do a diligent work and you’ve
    done an excellent work!

145. justin • September 22, 2010 at 9:40 pm • Reply

Columbia Unversity can easily see from the hate-filled, extremely intolerent, ant-free speech comments on this board, the opposion to PM Meles is mainly from the EXTREME fringe elements of Ethiopian politics! That’s ALL!

146. justin • September 22, 2010 at 9:43 pm • Reply

PM Meles Has nothing to HIDE! As you can see he just spoke for only 20 minutes and answered any and all questions for over 40 minutes..

No matter how much time the Diaspora Extremists spend fabricating and spreading misinformation, the TRUTH just keeps hitting them square right in between their eyes, leaving them bloodiew, dazed, and confused like the IDIOTS they are!

147. justin • September 22, 2010 at 9:55 pm • Reply

The pathetic Ethiopian Diaspora Extremists tried to drum up support for the protest in NY for over 2 days, but only about 50 people showed up. On the other hand, 100s of supporters showed up at Columbia University with virtually no advertisement! I think it’s has to become very obvious even to Columbia University the Vocal Ethiopian Diasporas are the tinny-tiny fringe elements of Ethiopian politics!

148. justin • September 22, 2010 at 9:56 pm • Reply

The pathetic Ethiopian Diaspora Extremists tried to drum up support for the protest in NY for over 2 days, but only about 50 people showed up. On the other hand, 100s of supporters showed up at Columbia University with virtually no advertisement! I think it’s has to become very obvious even to Columbia University the Vocal Ethiopian Diasporas are tinny-tiny fringe elements of Ethiopian politics!

• ltdan • September 22, 2010 at 11:01 pm • Reply

hey “Justin”,
      Face it. Your master Zenawi got humiliated and left scampering like the little rat he is. :) TPLF is the toilet paper of the past, and so are all you the supporters. You belong in the past. The future is for us Ethiopians. :)

149. flulu • September 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm • Reply

Your bad reaction to Columbia university will not count any ways .Most of your are taxi drivers with no prospect of joining any college or university in the US let alone Columbia .Even you grad kid will not see the doors of Columbia university.

150. Dambibiya • September 22, 2010 at 10:39 pm • Reply

If two professors use a institution to earn a trust and power and celebrity then used those resources to enable a dictator earn sham credential through which Meles the dictator obtains added asset that he and his machine used for killings of innocent, imprisonments of politicians, and denial of democracy and added to an starvation of people they the two professors have proved the ignorance of trust to the school of reason University they have represented by falsely presenting a dictator as good.

2009 Human Rights Reports: Ethiopia
    Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
    2009 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
    March 11, 2010
    http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2009/af/135953.htm

Ethiopia is on a deteriorating human rights trajectory as parliamentary elections approach in 2010. These will be the first national elections since 2005, when post-election protests resulted in the deaths of at least 200 protesters, many of them victims of excessive use of force by the police.
    http://www.hrw.org/en/node/87604

Genocide Watch has received numerous reports of genocidal massacres of Anuak people in and around Gambella, Ethiopia in December 2003
    http://www.genocidewatch.org/THE%20ANUAK%20OF%20ETHIOPIA.htm

The Ethiopian government is using intimidation, arbitrary detentions and excessive force in rural areas of Ethiopia to suppress post-election protests and all potential dissent, Human Rights Watch said today after a research trip to Addis Ababa and the Oromia and Amhara regions.
    http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/01/12/ethiop12417.htm

151. hagos • September 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm • Reply

I only learned two thjngs today
    1) How this university is cheap
    2)How intellectual can change people with money.Finally you can easily guess that their next year speaker will be OSama BINLaden. Because they
    Know how to find,deal,Sit with KILLERS,MURDERERS,BUTCHERS and FASCHIST

152. hagos • September 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm • Reply

Hey justin you are the son your father I don’t expect anything from you as we said you and your father is a liar

153. hagos • September 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm • Reply

Justin you showed as how you are small and liar as always as your father

154. Danny • September 22, 2010 at 11:48 pm • Reply

Now my worry is , he said this is his last term. Please don’t elect me if u are going to oppose me. I am afraid I know I will be PM.
    Meles is a good man kalanadedut beker.

Let me talk serious stuff. Under his leadership he has done many good things too so to be fair talk about his good deed too. Otherwise when you talk only negative stuffs it is called hate. Then talk about negative things. That is matured way of objection. If I am wrong correct me. I want to learn. My wish is to c prospered and peaceful Ethiopia. I want to c Meles shaking Dr. Brehanu’s hand , releasing Birtukan. She had enough. Realsing all political prisoners unless they throw stone or provoke violence. We live lavish life here in USA and I wish my ppl to have that life with full freedom of speech and writing articles as long as it is not provoking violence. Comment– danymanxyz@gmail. com
    once again I am open minded to learn so teach me. Don’t email me more than 5 lines if u send. I get bored reading long sentences. Just hit points. Thank you. I love u all regardless who u are!!! Life is too short to hate each other. In 2050 many of us are gone for good so consider how life is too short.

155. Falmata Orma • September 23, 2010 at 12:02 am • Reply

What is the point of inviting this monstrous little dictator? I think Columbia University is concerned more about publicity than intellectual discourse.Please don’t try to legitimize Meles Zenawi’s regime. It is a well documented and reported fact that his regime is engaged in gross human rights violations. Thousands have been extrajudicially killed, tortured, detained, fired from their jobs etc. The International Criminal Court should soon issue an arrest warrant for this butcher.

156. Kassu Illala • September 23, 2010 at 1:08 am • Reply

It is sad to read comment like ZekreYesus’s. I don’t think any person like Zekre has any sense of sane whatsoever. They echo just what they are told. they are adult with seven years old mind set up.

No question about burtality and undemocatic nature of Melese. If there is a democracy (not revolutionary democracy of Woyanne) how on eather Ethiopian people let a narrow minded minority ethnic group that favor only (99%) its ethnic dictoror, give the second, third and four chance to oppers them? Melse is a bucher and murder a wanted criminal at the Huage. the abc of democracy teach that people must elect their own leaders not through intimedation, gun and vote riging.

When Melese and his Tigre ethnic groups murder Oromos and Oganden because they defineded their God given rights to live in their own father land Melse killed them and labled them OLF or ONLF. they didn’t go to the dry, rocky and famine face of Tigray and steal their rock but they say Ethiopia particularly Oromia and Ogaden should be for democratically elected Ethiopian or Oromos that represent the majority.

After 2o years in power and countless unfulfilled promise he still keep his supporter as this is a democracy and his ignorat support echo that.
    Down Melse and his narrow minded ethnic politics supports.

157. justin • September 23, 2010 at 1:45 am • Reply

No amount of shreiks and LIES from the extremists can stop the truth from emerging. With the great leadeship of PM Meles, Ethiopia is marching forward to her bright destiiny with justice and eaquality for all.

158. Kebede • September 23, 2010 at 3:11 am • Reply

Stiglitz must be removed from Columbia because he is a collaborator of Killers in Ethiopia.

His nobel prize should be thrown in the trashcan.

159. Wolde • September 23, 2010 at 4:35 am • Reply

Shame on Columbia University Professors ,who fill your pocket by the cost of the poorest people of the world,Ethiopians

160. Tazabi Ethio Lover • September 23, 2010 at 5:57 am • Reply

It is so amazing. this is pure double standard at full force! you protest to gain free speech but you are screaming to shut down others( including Meles’s) right to freely speak ???

what is with insulting some one for voicing up his/her support – I’m disgusted with some of the comments, how do you call someone “shermuta, hodam etc” and expect to show us you have a sound mind? this is NOT a sign of “sophistication”. Displaying intolerance, as a matter of fact,is pure ignorance. This was the exact same problem Ethiopian opposition parties displayed. please, let’s be respectful to each other.

If you can’t handle a different view of the world, a different opinion, how can I entrust you over my country, my people?

It is about time for Ethiopians to wake up and take responsibility about our own nation, our own problems, our own local disputes. if you feel like SCREAMING AROUND THE STREETS OF THE WEST to bring about solution to the land – you are a fool. but rather, organize with good will, identify what worked in the current government, what didn’t work in the government, how can we better the areas that need improvement, what type of policies should the people adapt and influence the government to implement them?

the old my way or the highway approach will never work – not anymore. living in the comfort of the western hemisphere, but screaming arms struggle in Ethiopia is pure hypocrisy and so 19th century.

we/Ethiopia needs a visionary leader that will create a road-map to our nation’s departure from an adverse poverty to self-sustaining. yes, it might not happen overnight, remember Rome was not built over night!

161. Faris • September 23, 2010 at 7:05 am • Reply

Well done the Columbians. You have given us enough information which we would not have accessed had we been in Ethiopia. That monster should be exposed where ever he goes till he rests in the Hague.

Thank you Columbia Spectators again.

162. Abe • September 23, 2010 at 9:13 am • Reply

Would you like to develop Ethiopia economy like chaina with limited individual freedom or hepocracy like Pakistan?

163. Aster • September 23, 2010 at 9:46 am • Reply

Professor Joseph Stiglitz and Jefrey Sacs, these two acadamician are doing bussiness for long time with Meles. Today miss use also this forum. they earn the Money of this poor country. if i have a chance and have three Bullet kill first the two lobbyis for blood sucker.

164. Abebe • September 23, 2010 at 10:10 am • Reply

Abebe, he said he will assure us this will be his last term, I do not belive it at all.
    He has said previously that he will hand power after this term, to me this is just a method that makes people less worried about his dictatorial ship, so he can do more damage in addation to what is doing.

165. Abebe • September 23, 2010 at 10:19 am • Reply

Ethiopan`a please let us not be fulish any longer, before this dictator dismantel ethiopia, let us get togather,organise,avoid ethinic division and fight back Meles rigime by any means to overthrough Meles regime.
    Thank
    you

166. Bisrat • September 23, 2010 at 10:21 am • Reply

I don’t live in America or Europe, but everytime I see those people who don’t live in Ethiopia who have sold out their identity, changed their citizenship, abundened the country carry the Ethiopian flag and shout nonsense, I FEEL ASHMED OF BEING AN ETHIOPIAN. I AM ASHAMED OF THE ETHIOPIAN DIASPORAS, PLEASE LEAVE US ALONE.

MAFERYE DIASPORA.

• Anonymous • September 23, 2010 at 7:21 pm • Reply

Why do you think Ethiopians are like to change their citizens? Recent world wide survey also indicated Ethiopian living in their country (if they got the chance) wants to immigrate. You shouldn’t need to go college for answering this. This is because under Melese and Mengistu administration, Ethiopia become a worst country to live.

• Bisrat • September 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm •

Ethiopian migration have very little to do with politics, I know most are just asylum shoppers abusing the Refugee Convention and the Good will of those countries who provide resettlement. Most Ethiopians are just fabricating a tea cup storm story to get to the west. As far as politics is concerned Diasporas have insatiable political appetite and even if Christ comes down to rule Ethiopia their anarchic and rebellious mentality will not be satisfied, their problem is not political but XENOCENTRISM, but that was not my point, my point is: I FEEL ASHIMED WHEN I SEE THEM USING MY COUNTRY FLAG IN EVERY BIG CITY OF THE WORLD WITH THEIR MAMBO JAMBO SLOGAN. THEY ARE VERY EMBARRASSING AND IRRITATING HOOLIGANS.

By the way there is no big deal in being an escapist and run away to another country to avoid problems, a real victory is penetrating and passing through the problem.

167. EThiopiawi • September 23, 2010 at 10:34 am • Reply

PM MELES ZENAWI ..>> YOU ARE OUR HERO

We proud of you, Don’t worry with ths loosers. We appreciate what you have done so far and what you paln to do. Keep going as you did last 7 years or better. This people will spend all thier life time on Prostesting in fornt of embassies, noting more. They change thier nationalities and want to rule the country by remout contol. Ethiopia has enough intelectual people who can build the country from heart not abroad but in the country. Don’t give attention I know you don’t and keep doing the right work for our country. Remember almost all Ethiopians who were succesful in diaspora are going back home for good and doing business every single day. We will follow then soon. All the loosers who portesting against you are 90% of them are loosers in thier own life

We will be there soon

God Bless Mother Ethiopia

168. Ethiopiawi • September 23, 2010 at 11:11 am • Reply

While the looser Protest here in NY, at the same this is the news in Ethiopia read it Please

http://www.newbusinessethiopia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=267:usaid-mofed-sign-2293-million-us-dollars-agreements&catid=44:poverty-reduction&Itemid=55

• Anonymous • September 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm • Reply

This is how Melese get power and exist in power. “Meles’s Ethiopia is now the subject of an informal experiment to see whether “the big push” approach to African development will work. Unfortunately, this aid is also subsidizing a regime that is rapidly becoming one of the most repressive and dictatorial on the continent.”

169. John Hassan • September 23, 2010 at 12:36 pm • Reply

Shame on You Columbia University for inviting the man who is behind the killings and torture of millions of people in the horn of Africa. you will look back today and be ashamed of this act when Melez is brought to justice to face crimes against humanities. May be what you ought to do before you invite another killer to this fine institution a little background check and as a former victim of Melez’s Regime i felt scared having that killer in the U.S.

170. hinok • September 24, 2010 at 3:47 am • Reply

meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!meles is hero!!

171. hinok • September 24, 2010 at 3:48 am • Reply

Meles is the best ever leader of ethiopia.those who oppose him knows nothing.

172. samuel • September 30, 2010 at 11:28 am • Reply

Video: TPDM makes a surprise attack on Woyane’s army

http://www.eastafro.com/Post/2010/09/10/tpdm-makes-a-surprise-attack-on-woyane%e2%80%99s-army

173. samuel • September 30, 2010 at 11:29 am • Reply

Video: Welcome to Tigray People’s Democratic Movement (T.P.D.M)

174. Andre • September 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm • Reply

Which has a direct relation to our rates on mortgages rising, now the
    thirty years mortgage rates dropped to 4 super real the deconsolidation of 2006-a may
    have a major effect on these relative numbers on the end of the third quarter.