Spectrum | May. 12 11:43 am EST
libbin it up

Library Adventures Part II: Where do different majors prefer to study?

In our first post here, we looked at peak library hours throughout the day. Check it out here, if you’re still trying to plan the ideal library-visiting schedule! In this installment, Spec surveyed where each major is most likely to study.

This post is great for stalkers! Uhh wait that didn’t sound as funny as it did in my head…

This visualization, based on swipe-in data, shows where students of different majors prefer to study across campus. What are some funny trends you notice? Tell us in the comments! Some of the things that we saw:

• Uris ranks sixth in overall undergraduate attendance—last if you don’t count Lehman or Law Library. Apparently we don’t even like them, anyway!
  • Undergraduate philosophy majors love Butler, considering that they rank seventh in overall usage, despite being one of the smaller programs around (according to the most recent available program-size information). More after the jump.
  • Even though we don’t know anything about Mudd usage, we can still see that our SEAS brethren avoid Butler, turning even to NoCo at a higher rate than CC undergrads.

Go here for the full-size. It looks much better, trust me.

There are two parts to this graphic:

1. The “Go!” button visualizes where specific majors study. (Normalized by library size.)
  2. The “Calculate!” button visualizes the top majors (by program) in a specific library. The “Calculate!” graph’s count is over the 2013-14 school year. (Not normalized.)

We regret that, because the Department of Library Information Services’ jurisdiction is limited, our data-set does not include Barnard student swipe-ins.

1. yo • May 12, 2014 at 1:57 pm • Reply

the difference you point out for SEAS for noco vs butler hardly looks that different significant

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  2. CC 14 • May 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm • Reply

Did I unknowingly consent to release of my information?

• CC 14 • May 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm • Reply

also, is this the # of swipe-ins per major per year? b/c we do not go the library enough if so.

Rating: -3 (from 3 votes)
  3. Alex Spangher STAFF • May 12, 2014 at 5:39 pm • Reply

The swipe data contained no identifying information. It was provided on request by the Library Information Office with all personal data removed except the Major and department of the person swiping.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  4. ELEN 2015 • May 14, 2014 at 2:32 pm • Reply

Was there any data on Mudd? I swear all the EEs in my year study in 13th floor MUDD at all times of night!

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
    • Alex Spangher STAFF • May 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm • Reply

Hey Elen, no we weren’t provided data on Mudd unfortunately! Does the 13th floor library have a swipe-in system?

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  5. spy lenses replacement • May 19, 2014 at 9:48 pm • Reply

If designed and operated well, Harvey said, the facility could generate revenue to be poured into the upkeep of Land Park, which has had its maintenance staffing drastically reduced in recent years. The group envisions a summer concert series at the theater and making the facility a regional attraction. Ryan Lillis has covered the city of Sacramento, its 108 neighborhoods and its politicians since 2008. Prior to that, he covered crime at The Bee. A native of upstate New York, Lillis has a journa