First-year elections and new events from SGA
The second floor of the Diana Center was filled with excited chatter as Barnard SGA members reconvened to discuss the upcoming year’s agenda. They were joined by the board of the McIntosh Activities Council (McAC), which hinted at the return of several much-anticipated Barnard events. Jessica Stallone and Rachel Kaplan bring you the highlights from last night’s SGA meeting:
- First-year elections will be held this week! Students who are interested in running for President, Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer must turn in their intent to run forms, which are due today at 3 p.m., in order to run. The election process will kickoff with the Candidate Forum on Wednesday, Sept. 14, at 8 p.m. on the second floor of the Diana Center, where each candidate will give a short speech. Online voting (through eBear) begins at midnight on Wednesday, Sept. 15 and ends on Monday, Sept. 19 at 12 p.m.
- In order to receive funding for this year, any club that is funded through SGA must send its president and treasurer to the FUEL funding meeting, which will be held this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Last Spring, many students who did not have unlimited meal plans were disheartened to find that they had to use a meal swipe in order to enjoy the Spirit Day lunch. Because of changes in the meal plan policy, Barnard students will now have to use a meal swipe in order to eat at any of the Barnard event meals, including the upcoming Founder’s Day barbeque.
- The Barnard Student Activities Fair will be held this Friday, Sept. 16, from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Lehman Lawn.
- SGA recently launched its new website (http://barnard.edu/sga). While changes are still being made to it, the website will be completely ready by the end of September. A calendar that lists all upcoming SGA events is in the works, but for now, students can check out the right sidebar for all event information.
- McAC President Maria Russo, BC’12 promised that the Greek Games will be expanded this year. Exercise-minded students will be happy to hear that “Run with Deborah Spar” will be held for the second time, and those who are seeking advice on majors or internships will have the opportunity to attend the students-networking-with-students event. The dates for these events have not yet been announced.
- Founders Day will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 11 between 11:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. In addition to the traditional barbeque lunch, this year’s celebration promises to be more informative about the history of Barnard. Look out for flyers featuring Barnard’s female establishers and fun facts about Barnard’s buildings.
- Breakfast in Bed will be held on Sunday, Oct. 16. First-year students and transfers will be greeted in the morning by a “welcome wagon” that will bring Starbucks coffee and bagels right to students’ doors.
Leave a Comment
Be nice. Don't use HTML tags. And consider reading our full comment policy.