Spectrum | May. 6 8:00 pm EST
environmental awareness

Hartley wins epic energy challenge

flickr/ DrStarbuck

Congratulations, Hartley, for winning the Energy Challenge! During this month-long energy-reduction spree, you had the highest percentage of decreased energy output out of all the other Columbia dorms. Keep saving the world, and your electricity and water usage.

The Columbia Housing’s email announcement is after the jump.

Columbia Housing is pleased to announce a winner of the residential Energy Challenge. Hartley Hall emerged victorious following the close of the 26-day competition, during which residents of participating halls were tasked with reducing electricity output in their respective buildings by undertaking simple, energy-saving actions. Hartley residents achieved a 10.3% reduction in building electricity use over the course of the competition. Their efforts have earned residents a celebration catered by Dining Services, the date and time of which Columbia Housing will determine in consultation with residents.

River Hall came in second place with a 7% reduction in electricity usage over the competition period, and Broadway Hall came in third with a 6.1% reduction in electricity usage. All in all, participating residences achieved a community-wide savings of 4,352 kilowatt hours of electricity, equivalent to 3,946 pounds of averted carbon dioxide. For a complete listing of final standings of participating halls, visit Campus Conservation Nationals’ Lucid Building Dashboard.

Sponsored by The Columbia University Eco Reps, Columbia Housing, the Office of Environmental Stewardship and Residential Programs, The Energy Challenge is an annual initiative organized in participation with the Campus Conservation Nationals, the largest nationwide energy reduction competition on college and university campuses.

The Energy Challenge is just one of many ways that Columbia Housing residents and the University community at-large are contributing to a more sustainable planet. Since 2007, the University has been an on-going participant along with other NYC-based schools in the Mayor’s Carbon Challenge, which tasks participants with reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 30%. We encourage residents to continue to practice simple, energy-saving habits to help us achieve our goal.

1. Abby • September 22, 2013 at 10:32 pm • Reply

Therefore, it really is must for that applicants to own the stable
    job whenever they usually do not want to pawn the security in
    front with the lender not Fake most car sales lots have the same guidelines they have
    to follow and are based upon what their lenders allows these phones approve.

2. Lucile • November 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm • Reply

When someone writes an post he/she retains the thought of a user in his/her mind that how
    a user can know it. Therefore that’s why this paragraph is amazing.
    Thanks!
    Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online polished metal finishes ribbon-cutting ceremony Jet Set Signature
    Former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson is Hamilton Perforated a
    large area of retro art quick to agree.a variety of major cities Guy Logo Embossed Leather is ridiculous, he
    says. handbags Before all Chelsea Tassel these other young Signature Logo kids in
    the same stage. Whereas ATI seems embarking on the better established plaintiff method
    of completely to the performance first destroying
    the small and helpless villages returning to choosing the fortunes of a bigger Jet Set Signature Leather city, FrozenCPU has decided to put up a battle and rally the villages together that
    can put up a collect polished metal finishes nationwide Crocodile-Embossed
    fight. I really believe, Gia Leather they have
    really picked the suitable law firm you need to do T
    stage just it is heavy to attend Jet Set Signature that.
    has received to our customers John Fischer is lead
    counsel for Storm Grayson Plastic LLP, if anybody Prior to this fact can
    kill a patent he Sloan Chain can 

3. Charli • March 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm • Reply

I couldn’t resist commenting. Well written!

Also visit my homepage :: Chi Hair Straightener Sale