Spectrum | Nov. 22 10:44 pm EST
SGA Roundup

DSpar visits SGA, Bacchanal may hold future event at Barnard (Updated)

Barnard President Debora Spar visited last night’s SGA meeting:

• On financial aid: “We want to make sure that the smartest women can come here.” That includes investing in faculty and making sure that Barnard is the place that they want to be, as well as investing in teaching and learning spaces on campus. Spar talked about plans for increased classroom space, labs, and libraries.
  • We cannot and will not raise tuition to cover financial aid, though it is the primary revenue source. Half of financial aid is coming from Barnard, half from federal gov. If federal gov cuts student loans, Barnard can’t make the math work. Very few schools can make the math work.”
  • Spar also talked about Dean Hinkson’s new plan for Constellations. She saw the program as a platform to give transfer and visiting students a nice opportunity to be involved in a community besides the transfer community or visiting student community, and Constellations will make it easier for the alumni to become involved in the college as well.
  • This year marks the fourth annual global symposium conference, held this year in Mumbai. There will be four panels focusing on women and women’s leadership in the public and private sectors. Plans to incorporate the entire campus in the symposium include an event in which we have the student fellows who are selected to attend the symposium present and talk about their experiences.
  • After Spar’s presentation was over, Bacchanal president Dan Weinstein asked SGA for $20,000 of funding in ratio with that of the other councils. The council made a motion to give Bacchanal the money under the stipulations that they have an event at Barnard within the next two semesters, have a delegate from SGA on the finance board for Bacchanal (as was the case last year), and that they start the official SGA recognition process.

Update: The SGA motion that required Bacchanal to hold a Barnard event and provide for SGA representation has not yet been accepted by Bacchanal student leaders.

1. okay. • November 23, 2011 at 1:13 am • Reply

“We cannot and will not raise tuition.” Instead you’ll just start instituting colossal hidden fees everywhere: part-time rounded-up up to $14,000 to full-time, unavoidable required meal plans of up to $2000 a semester depending on where you are placed in housing, $1000 to leave Barnard housing, annually rising charges for staying in school over break.

DSpar is nothing if not a masterful semantician.

2. Is it just me? • November 23, 2011 at 11:37 am • Reply

“that they have event an event at Barnard”

• Darron Kinney STAFF • November 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm • Reply

Fixed! Thanks for catching that.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  3. UGH • November 23, 2011 at 11:56 am • Reply

If you’re going to pinch every penny out of our wallets you could at least build some damn recreational facilities! The McIntosh Center had a bowling alley and you took that away and gave us Altschul Atrium? A F*cking BEEHIVE??? Seriously?

MAYBE if we had some type of FUN outlet on this campus, students wouldn’t be so depressed. Maybe we wouldn’t need Furman or Well-Woman (although they are both wonderful resources). Just think about it.

UGH

4. anon • November 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm • Reply

Barnard basically has no facilities, they use all of Columbia’s. My high school library was larger. They would die without their affiliation with Columbia.