Spectrum | Dec. 12 4:16 pm EST
class of 2018

Congratulations to the Early Decision class of 2018

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid Jessica Marinaccio. Kiera Wood/ Spec

Updated at 5 p.m.

The verdict is out, and the lucky ones have officially been chosen. Early Decision acceptance letters were mailed out today, at 3:30 p.m., by admissions officers on College Walk. This year, Columbia received 3,298 ED applicants to Columbia College and SEAS, making it the largest ED applicant pool in Columbia history.  Accepted class of 2018 students will be able to check online at 5 p.m.

So to those of you who made it, you can let out the breath you’ve been holding in for a month, scream, hug your family, your puppy, your pillow pet, and everyone else who made this possible. We may be studying for finals, but we are certainly excited to have you joining us next year. And gosh, do we feel old. Read more from the dean of undergraduate admissions herself, after the jump.

A statement from Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid Jessica Marinaccio:

“Today is one of the most rewarding days of the year for our staff as we welcome the first members of the Class of 2018 into the Columbia family. We are confident that these students, having made exceptional contributions in their schools and communities, will continue to do the same when they arrive in Morningside Heights this fall.

“Over the last several weeks, my staff and I have spent many hours reading about and discussing the 3,298 students who comprised the largest Early Decision applicant pool in Columbia’s history. While our decisions were not always easy, we are thrilled to celebrate today the individuals who have demonstrated that they are ideally suited for Columbia. They will come to Columbia from all over the country and around the world, bringing their singular insights, passions, questions and stories to enrich every corner of our campus.

“It has been a privilege to get to know these students through their applications, and we wish them and their families great joy in the happy news of their acceptance to Columbia.”

Kiera Wood/ Spec

Dean Valentini with Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jessica Marinaccio, SEAS Dean Mary Boyce, and admissions officers on College Walk. Kiera Wood/ Spec

1. Anonymous • December 12, 2013 at 5:40 pm • Reply

Congratulations Class of 2018!!!! Welcome to Columbia!

2. Anonymous • December 12, 2013 at 6:01 pm • Reply

these annual articles make me feel older and older ugh

3. Observer • December 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm • Reply

Am I the only one who wonders why the story doesn’t tell us HOW MANY applicants were admitted early?? Isn’t that the most important thing to know?

4. Anonymous • December 19, 2013 at 10:25 am • Reply

Thanks for glossing over the other 80% of extremely qualified applicants who were not admitted.

Rating: -2 (from 4 votes)
  5. JimC • January 4, 2014 at 3:15 pm • Reply

Seems like the admissions office is playing games by not announcing the number of students accepted or deferred. They will bulk up on the number of early admits because those students must accept. They will then tout the low overall acceptance rate. If a university is anything, it should be honest! Please give us the data. Thank you.