Spectrum | Feb. 12 6:34 pm EST
class of 2018

Class of 2018 applicant numbers released

Kiera Wood/ Spec

The numbers are out: Columbia hopefuls have come together to comprise the third largest applicant pool in Columbia history. Together, CC and SEAS have received 32,952 applications from both Early Decision and Regular Decision applicants. Out of these, 3,298 applied Early Decision, as reported on Spectrum in December.

Here’s the full statement from Jessica Marinaccio, Dean of Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid:

“We have received 32,952 applications to Columbia College and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science for the Class of 2018, which is the third largest applicant pool in Columbia’s history. We are grateful for the opportunity to get to know these students through their applications and look forward to identifying those who will comprise our next incoming class.”

Now that’s a scary-looking pile of admissions files to read. Maybe it’ll make you feel a little better about your backlog of reading for school.

While this is the third largest applicant pool in Columbia’s history, it’s actually about 1.5 percent fewer applicants than last year. This is a bit weird, but it’s happened before—for the class of 2016, the applicant pool dropped 9 percent from the previous year.

But congratulations to all you prospective students in the world’s many corners! We look forward to seeing more than 1,000 of you folks in the fall.

1. Anonymous • February 12, 2014 at 9:01 pm • Reply

The number of high school graduates in the US peaked in 2009, and is on a steady decline.