Opinion | Nov. 15 12:54 pm EST
BICKERS

It pays to be social

I am so ready for The Social Experiment. Given all the attention the game has recently garnered, I hope it can live up to the hype. I’ve always been fascinated with massive groups of people doing fun things together, and this game is drenched in opportunity for awesomeness.

My friends have long been obsessed with instituting an on-going student body wide event of some sort. While The Social Experiment doesn’t offer the same possibilities as, say Humans and Zombies, it is much more plausible on our urban campus. The only thing stopping the experiment from working is our own social awkwardness or the “I’m too cool for school-ish activities and building a sense of community” attitude.

What’s the worst that could happen? They’re paying us to participate, in their nice Columbia way. Show up to a sporting event, get a t-shirt. Exchange silly words and phrases with a stranger, 500 dollars in the bank. The perks of being a student here are seemingly endless, even if they might seem slightly pathetic to outsiders. But we have to take advantage of them.

So, Columbia, let’s do it. It’ll be fun! Release your inhibitions, like that song says. Don’t just make eye contact as you walk to class, follow it up with a “Hi.” Take off those headphones so you won’t have an excuse to act like you can’t hear. When you have to sit with new people in John Jay because all the other tables are full, don’t just pull out your “reading,” actually strike up a conversation.

If you’re nervous about all the social interaction, start slow. First ask your actual friends and the “friendly acquaintances” you see everyday. Move up to the people in your building, and don’t waste the bonding opportunities of laundry room and elevator time. I’ll admit that beyond this level, talking to actual strangers seems a bit daunting. But that’s the point. And if we all feel silly together, then there’s no reason not to participate.

1. lol • November 15, 2010 at 1:28 pm • Reply

no.

2. you would • November 15, 2010 at 2:03 pm • Reply

be excited for this, grace. you would.

3. grace • November 15, 2010 at 3:00 pm • Reply

This comment has been removed due to suggestive language. Commenters are free to criticize posts on their substance, but those comments that make inappropriate personal remarks about writers or other individuals will be deleted. Please see our comment policy.

• Tirudu • February 28, 2012 at 11:32 pm • Reply

agenlrose2001 on September 4, 2011 I love the bibs and the option for the EVA vinyl insert. I am always looking for bibs that will keep my son’s clothes dry! My son has acid reflux and is still spitting up at almost 2 years old. These bibs also look really comfy!

4. Laurel • November 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm • Reply

Is also a password. Muahahaha

5. sunglasses • November 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm • Reply

is a password!

• Gracious • February 27, 2012 at 8:58 am • Reply

Dorothy Posted on i like the names droothy, kendall, simone, taylor, anna caroline, elizabelle, miranda and la laine, makensie and shawnmy top 5 are: Dorothy, simone, la laine, kendall and makenzie

6. jacket • November 15, 2010 at 9:37 pm • Reply

another password. im going to win without speaking to a single kid! ahh their plan blows up in their face.

7. Mia • February 29, 2012 at 12:08 am • Reply

ledag123 on February 2, 2011 @Stepanfo1 WTF??? who cares about the birds when the pitluloon of power plants are burning the planet come on! open your eyes. this things are saving the entire enviorement not just the birds.