News | Jun. 22 9:30 pm EST
THAT SETTLES IT

University settles sexual harassment case

Henry Willson / Senior Staff Photographer

Columbia settled the lawsuit filed by Ph.D. student Alberto Leguina, who alleged his Medical Center supervisor sexually harassed him and then unfairly fired him last June after complaining to the University.

After the University filed a counterclaim in September 2012, a mediator was assigned to the case in October. Court documents said “on or about March 3, the parties reached a settlement in principle with the assistance of the court-appointed mediator.”

Leguina alleged that after he rejected the advances of Qais Al-Awqati, a professor of medicine, nephrology, and hypertension, the supervisor grew angry with him. According to the lawsuit, another supervisor and a human resources representative failed to support Leguina or help him file a complaint, which Leguina contended led to his firing.

The parties entered into a stipulation of confidentiality and agreed protective order on Jan. 9. In addition, Leguina said in an email on May 28 that the settlement made all details private and prevented him from commenting any further on the case.

A Columbia spokesperson said the University held with its prior statement that it could not comment on pending litigation. While the parties have reached a settlement, the case is still technically pending, with the next case management conference scheduled for July 15.

1. zingon • June 23, 2013 at 12:19 am • Reply

Oh an Arab homosexual boss, and Columbia University administrators.

All in a happy family.

Rating: -4 (from 8 votes)
    • yes • June 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm • Reply

because the problem with the supervisor is that he’s Arab and gay, not because he sexually harassed someone and led someone to lose their job.

2. aluminati • June 23, 2013 at 11:47 pm • Reply

columbia has a well documented history of supporting this kind of abuse by its employees. disgraceful. i am sure this kid got shafted by this big institutuion with thousands of lawyers on the payroll. i would like to hear what reforms they are putting in place. really disgusting.

3. aluminati • June 23, 2013 at 11:47 pm • Reply

that professor is a pig.

4. Michael Kessler • June 24, 2013 at 12:38 am • Reply

Columbia University under the direction of Professor Qais Al-Awqati brought a young idealistic and very talented intern Alberto Leguina from Chile promising him three years work at the side of the now infamous Qais Al-Awqati! I recall Alberto telling me when his position was approved that he needed first to send photograph of himself to the professor. I thought that is odd. Alberto isn’t applying to be a model. So why is his photo necessary. I dismissed it thinking I must be out of date.
    I personally was very proud both of our country and the University for giving Alberto this opportunity about which he wouldn’t shut up. That was until the day he called me in Los Angeles hysterical telling me that the professor hit on him and he rejected him. I was on the phone with him when the professor yelled at him he was finished to get out! I was also on the phone with him and overheard the manipulation and harassment engineered by this professor through staff and those charged in other supervisory positions. I over heard the screaming and the chairs being slammed around and the test tubes rather (glass) breaking. The commentary and behavior by people at Columbia who are supposed to be scholars and refined educated individuals could easily out perform any Jerry Springer guest list.
    The pay off came one afternoon when I asked Alberto to describe to me the appearance of the other boys, interns and students the professor favored. When he was finished describing the last one, I remarked Alberto you just described yourself! Interestingly Alberto wasn’t the only intern Qais Al-Awqati imported from South America over the years. Perhaps others have similar stories to tell? One would think the University would investigate but then why bother when they already know the results!
    We look at the campus shootings over the years and wonder how this student or that one fell through the cracks or why no one foresaw the potential for criminal behavior and failed to reach out to these souls Tears are shed and everyone from the esteemed Deans to the lowest faculty member parades out one after another in one observance event after another! And yet nothing changes! Why? The answer is simple. There was a time when our Colleges and Universities functioned solely for the betterment of the students. There was a time when no one fell through the cracks or went on noticed. No more. Now our colleges and universities function for the benefit of the institutional elite who operate them. The professors who garner the most grant money like the Midas touch of Qais Al-Awqati. The deans with their salaries and perks that now rival that of executives of most American multi-national corporations.
    In closing I remind you that Professor Qais Al-Awqati recanted all his initial denials about being homosexual and his lies about his behavior. I find it amazing. It was as if Columbia management and lawyers chalked the professor’s behavior up to human error. Alzheimer’s would have at least been a more credible excuse. He lied to everyone including the Dean. It didn’t matter. It was time to gather the wagons!
    Alberto raved about the honor to work next to such an honored professor like Qais Al-Awqati. When I asked Alberto about his love affair with the United States, he told me it was because of our principles of equality, hard work and recognition of talent. He once confided that he was still in a state of awe about being chosen to intern at Columbia. He questioned if he was good enough? I often think about that since Alberto was obviously chosen because he fit the professor’s sexual ideal! It’s not what you know its more about what you look like and who wants to get in your pants at Columbia.
    The state of New York and Columbia University permitted a professor to take a very idealistic, extremely talented award winning 21 year old medical intern and trash him simply because he innocently said no I don’t want to date you! My name is Mike Kessler and I met Alberto the first week he arrived in the USA because of our similar interest in hypertension.

5. zingon • June 24, 2013 at 7:33 am • Reply

Not only are the Columbia president and deans paid too highly, they have criminal minds.

6. anon • June 24, 2013 at 8:55 am • Reply

Was the professor fired?

7. Reggie • July 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm • Reply

Hey there, my name is Reggie and I’m a fellow blogger out of Neuch

8. Silvia • August 5, 2013 at 3:57 am • Reply

Thrombosed external hemorrhoids are, in the simplest of terms external hemorrhoids
    which are being strangled by veins. Based on the location of
    hemorrhoids and the associated symptoms, health care professionals can
    determine what type of treatment might be the most effective.
    As well as extreme discomfort and even pain, hemorrhoids can also cause intense
    itching around the anus and bleeding when passing a stool.

my homepage – hemorroides internas

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  9. Frances • August 5, 2013 at 6:10 am • Reply

Nice to be here people, im a bit of a premium
    coffee enthusiast. So, I personally ended up looking over this short article and really enjoyed reading it.
    It provides quite a few really superb insights for me to absorb.
    I have got to mention, I have been lonely presently as my
    best mate is not around. Browsing websites gives me just a little
    piece of mind . I’d choose to give thanks to you for doing this effective online content that helps circulate the news in regards to coffee even more! I was curious about if you provide an email list so I can remember to keep up to date at this site.

Also visit my blog :: under cabinet coffee makers

10. Yolanda • August 7, 2013 at 9:23 am • Reply

Hi there people, I am somewhat of a zombie enthusiast. So, I personally ended up discovering this short article and so
    I truthfully enjoyed it. It consists of quite
    a few sincerely nice ideas for me to absorb. I have to mention, I’ve been lonesome presently because my best friend is not here with me. Surfing the ‘net provides me with just a little piece
    of mind . I’d love to thank you for doing this brilliant web write-up which probably will help pass the news on the subject of zombies even more! I actually was itching to know if you currently have an email listing so I could remember to keep up to date .

Here is my web site: zombie attack in miami victim

11. Iola • August 7, 2013 at 11:58 pm • Reply

Hello to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this website, and your views are good for
    new visitors.

Here is my page: 6 months pregnant

12. Patty • August 9, 2013 at 5:22 am • Reply

Gday folks, im somewhat of a zombie lover. Hey, how are you?

I was discovering this web site and so I absolutely cherished it.

It consists of many genuinely decent tips for me to digest.
    I have got to mention, I’ve become unhappy these days as my best mate is no longer here with me. Checking websites provides me with a tiny piece of mind though. I would personally like to thank you for doing this incredible website posting which will can help pass on the message concerning zombies even more! I personally was itching to know if you currently have an email list in order to remember to keep up-to-date at this site.

Also visit my weblog; plants vs zombies shockwave free

13. Estella • August 13, 2013 at 11:54 am • Reply

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped
    me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

Here is my blog; how to prevent acne

14. Kerstin • December 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm • Reply

Great article.

Review my weblog … Cora W. Faller

15. Garfield Hizer • January 4, 2014 at 12:36 pm • Reply

Quite fantastic day, this is the truly superb web-site, I have plummeting in adore studying many in the posts and threads contained after the location, sustain the wonderful work as well as hope to learn a lot more exciting content articles from some time to come.

http://www.MUW61QOGDX.com/MUW61QOGDX

16. Nicole • May 7, 2014 at 11:07 am • Reply

I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be just what I’m looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects
    you write in relation to here. Again, awesome website!

Stop by my webpage – antivirus gratuit

17. Maple • May 10, 2014 at 6:42 am • Reply

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. There’s no doubt that that
    you ought to publish more on this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but typically people do not
    speak about these topics. To the next! Best wishes!!

Here is my blog :: online Hotel bookings

18. Donnie • July 10, 2014 at 12:55 am • Reply

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to
    come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create
    your theme? Exceptional work!

My site; Cheapest Public Liability Insurance