This Week In SGA: Guest policy, new quad lounges, and new reps
By Emma Goss
Student Government Association correspondent Emma Goss brings you the highlights from Monday night’s Barnard SGA representative council meeting.
What They’ve Done:
- Erin Bryk and Sarah Kim, both BC ’17, joined the representative council as the first-year class president and vice president, respectively.
- The representatives discussed Barnard’s recent change to its guest policy that limits the number of nights a guest can stay in Barnard housing. Sharon Kwong, BC ’14 and representative for campus affairs, noted that the new policy has some “kinks” that she and other members of SGA will continue to clarify and resolve with Annie Aversa, associate dean for campus and residential life. in the coming weeks. SGA is also seeking student input on the policy and its clarity among students. Rachel Chung, BC ’16 and sophomore class vice president, said that SGA should make an effort to ensure that students fully understand the housing contract and handbook, which students often sign without reading the fine print.
- The representatives voted to approve the recommendations by the Appointments Committee to fill two vacant representative council positions. Abigail Kim, BC ’16, is the new representative for information and technology and Ashley Wagner, BC ’14, is the representative for campus policy.
- Adrienne Nel, BC ’16 and representative for arts and culture, announced that the four-person rooms in Sulzberger-Reid in the Barnard quad were renovated and refurnished over the summer, converted back into their original state as study spaces for students. These lounges became 4-person rooms in 2011 and 2012 when Barnard needed to make more rooms for the incoming classes of 2015 and 2016.
What To Expect:
- The Junior Class Council is creating a tumblr page that will be launched next week, Barnard2015.tumblr.com.
- The Sophomore Class Council is holding a meet and greet on the rooftop of the Diana Center on Friday from 2-4:00 pm. Sparkling cider in Champagne flutes and free swag are guaranteed.
Leave a Comment
Be nice. Don't use HTML tags. And consider reading our full comment policy.