News | Jan. 15 6:15 pm EST
GOODBYE TO SAS

Student and Administrative Services to be eliminated

According to an email sent by Senior Executive Vice President Robert Kasdin yesterday afternoon and obtained by Spectator, the Columbia administration will be getting rid of the Student and Administrative Services division.

In case you haven’t heard of it, the division oversees the following departments: Dining, Contract Services, Environmental Stewardship, Event Management, Faculty House, Student Financial Services, Student Health Services, Housing, Human Resources, the ID Center, CUIT, Lerner Hall, Mail Services, Print Services, the Office of the Registrar, and Transportation.

No, this does not mean that Lerner Hall will cease to exist, we won’t be able to replace our IDs, and all of our ceilings will collapse. But a few highlights from the email:

• Human Resources and CUIT will report to Robert Kasdin.
  • Student Financial Services and the Registrar’s Office will report to Anne Sullivan, the executive vice president for finance.
  • Housing, Dining, Print Services, Student Health Services, and Special Events will report to Joe Ienuso, the executive vice president for Facilities (and now, Operations).
  • Jeff Scott, the executive vice president for Student and Administrative Services, will be leaving Columbia.

Check back later for a full story from the news desk. In the meantime, read the full email below (emphasis ours):

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to inform you of an administrative re-alignment that is designed to improve efficiency and service to our faculty, students and administrative colleagues. Specifically, the administrative unit known as Student and Administrative Services has been eliminated.  Its functional areas will be managed as follows:

Human Resources and CUIT will report directly to me;

Student Financial Services and the Registrar’s Office will report to Anne Sullivan, the university’s Executive Vice President for Finance; and

Student and Auxiliary Services (including Housing, Dining, Print Services, Student Health Services and Special Events) will report to Joe Ienuso, currently the Executive Vice President for Facilities. Joe’s title is being changed to Executive Vice President for Facilities and Operations to more accurately reflect his responsibilities.

Financial and communications staff who support these organizations’ efforts will report to Anne and Joe. Anne and Joe will also retain their current responsibilities.

Cheryl Ross, who has led Student Financial Services, will be supporting the Finance organization’s global operations in a new role as Head of Special Projects, Global Financial Operations.

Jeff Scott, the current Executive Vice President for Student and Administrative Services, will be leaving Columbia’s administration after six years of service. With Jeff’s leadership and guidance, Student and Administrative Services accomplished much in furtherance of our goals.  For example, Student Financial Services and the Office of the Registrar partnered successfully with the schools, automating many functions and improving student service in Kent Hall; significant improvements were made to the university’s IT infrastructure; and Human Resources developed a new Leadership Development Program that was piloted in Student and Administrative Services and which will be rolled out more broadly in 2014. I am grateful to Jeff for his contributions and I am pleased that Jeff will continue his service to the Columbia Community as an adjunct member of the faculty.

Periodic examinations of organizations are important as they adjust to evolving needs. It is my expectation that this re-alignment will make our organization more effective and responsive.  We will continue to review the new structure and make further adjustments as needed in our ongoing effort to improve services.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at rkasdin@columbia.edu; Anne Sullivan if it concerns Student Financial Services or the Registrar’s Office at asullivan@columbia.edu;  or Joe Ienuso if it concerns Student Services at ji4@columbia.edu.

Robert

1. CC 14 • January 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm • Reply

awesome job spec

2. Doge • January 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm • Reply

How administration. Such emails. Much robert.

3. ??? • January 21, 2014 at 5:29 am • Reply

2014年《全国老板手机号码大全》让您直接同公司最顶层的老板 洽谈业务,是您最好的商务秘书和商务助手。做生意,跑业务,担心没有客户?&