News | Jun. 23 9:00 am EST
VISION ZERO

State legislature passes NYC speed limit law; de Blasio to sign Cooper’s Law

Following votes in the New York State Assembly and the New York State Senate last week, the bill to lower the New York City speed limit to 25 mph from 30 mph passed and will soon be signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo.

The bill, sponsored by Upper West Side assembly member Daniel O’Donnell, was introduced after a spate of traffic-related deaths across the city earlier this year, including three on the Upper West Side. Alexander Shear, 73, and Cooper Stock, 9, were both killed on the evening of January 10, while Columbia University Medical Center anesthesiology resident Samantha Lee, 26, was killed on January 19.

“A pedestrian hit by a car traveling at 25 mph is half as likely to die as someone hit by a car going 30 mph. This reduction will save many lives every year, and make the city safer for all who inhabit it,” O’Donnell said in an email blast to the community on June 20.

The lower speed limit comes as Mayor Bill de Blasio prepares to sign 11 other traffic-related bills into law on Monday as part of his Vision Zero plan to reduce traffic-related deaths in the city. Along the bills de Blasio will sign tomorrow includes Cooper’s Law, proposed by Upper West Side City Council member Helen Rosenthal, which will automatically suspend the Taxi and Limousine Commission license until an investigation of any TLC driver that kills or injures a pedestrian. Vision Zero also includes a push for increased numbers of speeding cameras in school zones and a redesign of the intersection at 96th Street and Broadway.

Deputy director of Transportation Alternatives, Noah Budnick, told Capital New York that the success of the speed limit law “shows that safety and saving lives are transcending politics, which is great for New Yorkers.”

1. Raul • July 7, 2014 at 5:28 pm • Reply

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for
    your blog. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

My web blog … the best diet pills for women

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  2. Nike Air Max 90 • July 19, 2014 at 4:30 am • Reply

The commercial is titled Rise and picks up at the infamous Decision television reveal that was featured on ESPN. LeBron James asks the viewer the actual world commercial,Scarpe Air Max, What should I do?Oil-free Versus. Lubricated: Lubricated compressors require to be regularly serviced. But,Mens Nike Air Max, they are additional durable the the servicing they receive and is capable of better along with a controlled environment for example a garage or outdoors in the winter time.nike remains to