News | Dec. 19 9:14 am EST
Real Journalism

Journalism School announces 2014 duPont-Columbia Award winners

Yesterday, the J-School announced this year’s Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award winners.  The Journalism School website calls them the “equivalent of the Pulitzer Prizes” for broadcast journalism—they honor TV and radio programs as well as documentaries. Not-so-coincidentally, Columbia administers both sets of prizes.

In a press release sent out earlier today, Richard Wald, the jury chair and a professor at the Journalism School, said that “these journalists set standards for the profession with accomplishment and insight.” George Stephanopoulos from ABC and Michel Martin from NPR will host the awards ceremony on Jan. 21, 2014.

You can read all about this year’s winners on the Journalism School’s website. List of winners and links to the winning stories after the jump:

• American Documentary-POV’s Gail Dolgin and Robin Fryday, for their documentary “The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement,” a profile on now-85-year-old civil rights activist-barber James Armstrong.
  • CBS News, for its coverage of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
  • The Center for Investigative Reporting, for its multimedia investigative piece “Broken Shield,” which exposed California authorities for failing to protect developmentally disabled residents at state-run institutions.
  • ESPN, for its investigation of problems in youth football leagues in “Youth Football Concerns” from the show “Outside the Lines.”
  • WYPR Baltimore, for its yearlong investigation of inequality in Baltimore in the radio series “The Lines Between Us.”
  • KMGH-TV Denver, for its yearlong investigation of the systematic failure of Colorado’s handling of rape cases in “Colorado Rape Victims: Evidence Ignored, Justice Denied.”
  • KSHB 41 Action News, for its ongoing breaking news coverage of an explosion at a downtown Kansas City restaurant.
  • NBC, for its breaking news coverage after a massive tornado landed in Moore, Okla., in “Devastation in Oklahoma.”
  • Scott Thurman and the Silver Lining Film Group, for their documentary “The Revisionaries,” which revealed the inner workings of the Texas Board of Education.
  • The Center for Investigative Reporting, UC Berkeley IRP, Frontline, and Univision, for their multi-platform documentary “Rape in the Fields/Violación de un Sueño,” which investigated sexual abuse of female migrant field workers.
  • This American Life, for excellence in outstanding radio reporting in its two-part series “Harper High Schools,” which detailed the impact of gun violence on a Chicago high school (Part One and Part Two).
  • WBZ-TV Boston, for “exceptional live coverage” of the Boston Marathon bombings.
  • WFAA-TV Dallas’ Senior Investigative Reporter Byron Harris, for a two-year investigation on pediatric dental Medicaid fraud titled “Denticaid: Medicaid Dental Abuse in Texas.”
  • WVUE-TV New Orleans and Lee Zurik, for their series of reports detailing fraud and misuse of public funds in “Body of Evidence.”

Stay tuned for the Pulitzer Prize announcements in April!