News | Mar. 24 1:42 pm EST
BIDEN HIS TIME

Biden on campus for memorial service, shaking hands with students, looking fly in Ray-Bans (Updated with slideshow, video)

There’s a motorcade coming through campus—and it’s Vice President Joe Biden. A Columbia spokesperson confirmed that Uncle Joe is on campus this afternoon for a memorial service. At around 1:30 p.m., the motorcade pulled up onto College Walk and Secret Service officers are guarding Pulitzer Hall. There is a memorial service today for Journalism School graduate Richard Cramer, who earned a master’s degree in 1972. Cramer was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 1979 for his reporting on the Middle East for the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Send us photos and vice presidential sightings at tips@columbiaspectator.com. Updated: Check out our slideshow here for more information and photos.

Biden 1

Biden told Eleanor Marks, BC ’13, that she has a “smile that lights up the quad.” (Courtesy of Eleanor Marks)

Public safety officers blocked off the exit from Furnald Hall and spent most of the time Biden was on campus guarding Pulitzer Hall. Biden attended the Palm Sunday Mass lead by Cardinal Dolan at St. Patrick’s in Midtown this morning, and a tipster told us she spotted him and the Second Lady at B. Café on Amsterdam Avenue, between 87th and 88th streets.

Cramer was an avid Yankees fan and wrote a book about Joe DiMaggio, who holds the Major League Baseball record for a 56-game hitting streak during the 1941 season.

1. CC 15 • March 24, 2013 at 3:38 pm • Reply

Joe!!!

2. Mr. Vice President! • March 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm • Reply

First of all, my prayers for Ben Cramer and family.

With that said, Biden is an amazing man. Sorry I didn’t get to welcome you there, Mr. Vice President. Unfortunately I was 2000 miles away down south. Perhaps next time, sir.