Meta | Jan. 2 7:38 pm EST
spectrum wants you

We’re recruiting: Help us run the Spectrum blogosphere

tumblr.com

Fancy yourself an avid observer of the world around you, a closet social commentator, or just someone with a lot to say? Made a New Years’ resolution to write more outside of the 10 papers you churn out during the semester? If this is you, sit tight, because we’re looking for associate spectrum editors to run the blog one day a week, and weekly series writers to add a unique, regular voice to Spectrum.

Links to the applications can be found below. (See what we did here…? We want you to actually read the descriptions before you apply.) Both applications are due Wednesday, Jan. 15, by 11:59 p.m. EST. If you have any questions, direct them to Spectrum Editor Mihika Barua and Deputy Editor Samantha Sokol.

Weekly Series Writers

The job:  Spectrum weekly series are being reintroduced, and we’re looking for talented writers, graphic designers, and cartoonists who can contribute a post on the same day every week during spring 2014. Your series needs a consistent theme that’s relevant to Columbia or of general interest to Columbia students. Some examples from way back when are this How-To series, and a street-style series called “CU On Campus.”

How having a Spectrum series is different from being an Opinion blogger:

While an Opinion blogger/columnist responds to something such as academics, university policies, or politics, a Spectrum series does not necessarily have to have a focused opinion or central argument. In that sense, it can be sex talk or sports commentary—whatever your little heart desires, as long as… well… people would read it.

And yo, you don’t even have to write! Multimedia projects are welcome, too. Series that use graphs and charts such as Orli Matlow’s Getting Graphic have been successful in the past.

See more on the application and our associate spectrum editor position after the jump!

The weekly series application is here. Again, the deadline is Jan. 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Apply to be part of a new Spectrum initiative! It will be super fun, we promise.

Associate Spectrum Editors

The job: ASEs manage Spectrum one day a week. They are responsible for writing the Wake Up Call, a short roundup of important stories from the paper, and the nightly 1:11, a creative, longer post (but not too long—you know how we roll) that often makes use of multimedia. Additionally, they are responsible for scheduling posts for their day and writing spontaneous breaking news posts. ASEs can also contribute to popular features like The Shaft.

You can also attend weekly staff meetings so you can hang out with the bloggers you love to read and suggest pitches for the week. We’re also very big on the snacks.

Note: This is a yearlong position, with exceptions if you are studying abroad in fall 2014.

Why do it: You get some real-life experience managing a busy daily blog that runs faster than you can get to class. You get to decide when to run posts, and make sure we have our daily handful of posts from the Opinion, A&E, and Sports sections. You also get us—the sassy, quirky, creative Spectator community that you’ll come to know in the next few months.

For the application for associate spectrum editor, click here. Come join our team! Apply by Wednesday, Jan. 15 at 11:59 p.m. EST.

1. Doge • January 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm • Reply

Much applications. What associate. Such spectrum.

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)