Meta | Dec. 28 8:32 pm EST
it had to be you

Speak now or forever hold your piece: Apply for Spec opinion

Wikimedia Commons

It’s that time of year: You’ve filled yourself with holiday foods, checked out the after-Christmas sales (and remembered you spent all your money on Milano sandwiches), and started getting a little Columbia-sick (it’s like homesick but with more ennui). What better way to get back in touch with your MoHi self than applying to write or illustrate for Spec opinion?

Applications for columnists, bloggersEditorial Board members, and artists are due Jan. 10 at 11:59 p.m. (we know you love deadlines). Application links and position descriptions are below. You can apply for any or all positions, regardless of experience. Feel free to direct any questions you may have to the opinion editors, Emma Finder and Dan Garisto.

Columnists publish once every two weeks. Columns run around 800 words long and have a steady and recognizable theme throughout the semester. A good column should be relevant to Columbia and timely, and it should express a clear opinion. Past columns can be found hereApply here.

Bloggers write posts for Spectrum once a week. Blog posts are usually shorter and much more focused than columns, and bloggers may respond to that day’s news outside their usual series. A good blog post should be relevant to Columbia and make use of lists, graphics, photos, links, or videos. Past opinion blog posts can be found here. Apply here.

The Editorial Board is the voice of Spectator. Members meet twice a week to decide the content of Spectator’s staff editorials, discuss the issues, and form opinions on them. Editorial Board members have a hand in the writing and editing process for the editorials, which cover both campus and neighborhood issues, voicing Spectator’s opinions on them. Past staff editorials can be found here. Apply here.

Artists contribute to the opinion pages regularly through illustrations, editorial cartoons, and multimedia series. Pieces may go along with an op-ed or column or stand on their own. If you’re interested, you may send a sample of your work to opinion@columbiaspectator.com and fill out the application here.

1. yzeeuqd • December 29, 2013 at 9:13 pm • Reply

Is the Editorial Board year-long or semester-long?

• Emma Finder STAFF • December 30, 2013 at 12:39 am • Reply

It’s semester-long, but many people reapply for future semesters. Thanks for asking!

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
  2. Doge • January 2, 2014 at 3:10 am • Reply

What application. How apply. Very artist.

3. Anonymous • January 7, 2014 at 12:22 am • Reply

Whatever happened to CU In Bed? Is that ever coming back?

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)