Let me in!
Now that Columbia FINALLY added the Wait-List function, getting into a full class may not involve so much sucking up. However, here are other tactics you can use to ensure your spot in a full class.
1. Email the professor saying how interested you are in the class and the material then ask how you can get into the class. This is the classic move and the first way to be noticed and claim your spot.
2. Show up to class on the first day (even if you aren’t signed up) and speak to the professor after class. Now the professor will know your face and most likely say yes or give you other options.
3. Find someone who is in the class and intends to drop it. The two of you coordinate your plan where s/he drops and you immediately add. It’s tricky, but when done properly it’s magical.
4. Email the TA and turn on the charm. Tell the TA how interested you are and how cool it is that they are a TA. Make them swoon. Even tell them you will write a good CULPA review.
5. Just stick around for the entire semester and claim there is a problem with eBear/SSOL that it won’t add you. Warning: this may result in a long discussion on how much the professor hates the Columbia computer system, but it’s worth the risk.
If all else fails, cross your fingers and pray that you’ll have better luck next year.
Leave a Comment
Be nice. Don't use HTML tags. And consider reading our full comment policy.