A&E | Jul. 26 4:52 pm EST
Greenbaroque

TOX and GUEST’s EP makes a splash with a unique sound

Courtesy of TOX and GUEST

When it comes to recording music, Dodge, McBain, and Greenborough hardly seem like ideal locations, but for Columbia band TOX and GUEST, conventionality has always been overrated.

The group, consisting of songwriter and saxophonist Eli Aleinikoff, CC ’15, trumpeter Corey Dansereau, CC ’14, bassist David Halpern, CC ’13, vocalists Jon Perkins, CC ’15, and Emilie Schattman, BC ’15, and producer Sahil Ansari, SEAS ’15, had never even played together when recording their debut EP, “Pixelated,” which was released in May. After Aleinikoff spent winter break of this past year writing music, he assembled a dream team of high school friends, fellow jazz enthusiasts, and on-campus performers to bring life to his creation, but the CU grind forced the five to record their parts separately.

When listening to “Pixelated,” however, you’d never guess. TOX and GUEST’s brand of confessional avant-folk is lush and melancholic, influenced in equal parts by Bon Iver and Aleinikoff’s childhood passion, Charlie Parker. Languid, washed-out guitar melds with mournful brass on opener “Dawn,” while the title track unites delicate acoustic melodies with wistful saxophone and a full choir. With such a full sound, the EP is anything but fragmented.

While the instrumentals themselves could easily stand alone, it would be criminal not to mention the band’s two vocalists. Emilie Schattman is a consummate folk singer who carries just the right level of emotional subtlety, and Jon Perkins is a paragon of adaptability, complementing Schattman’s forlorn tones on “Pixelated” while proving an adept and dynamic frontman on “Bang.”

True to their name, however, the band is equally defined by guests. A cursory glance at their Bandcamp page shows numerous collaborations on everything from lyrics to the cover art. “Since much of the EP was recorded in dorms,” said Dansereau, “people kept coming in and out while we were recording, which made for a lot of interesting collaborations.”

Surprisingly, the most productive location was Aleinikoff’s room in Greenborough. The high ceilings provided optimum acoustics, while a constant flow of friends and onlookers turned into what became known as the Greenborough Chorus, whose dulcet tones feature on the EP’s title track.

Columbia plays an essential role in more than just the recording process. All the members are keen to become a bona fide campus band, and they hope to play some shows at popular CU events. Their ambitions may be more modest than their reality, though. Their debut end-of-year show at The Underground was packed, performances across the city are due over the summer, and they’re even getting coverage from international music blogs (read at your own non-Italian-speaking risk). They may still be recording in dorm rooms when it comes to their next release, but that’s just the way TOX and GUEST like it.

1. anon • July 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm • Reply

Columbia has the best music scene in the ivies

• if so • August 6, 2013 at 10:39 am • Reply

that’s way sad

Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  2. Terrance • October 3, 2013 at 5:18 am • Reply

If you think that this may be a great option for you, you will want to start by getting your vehicle ready to offer.
    Indeed it is a very difficult task to sell your car or truck, but also in this
    article we’re going to discuss about certain means of selling your vehicle with an ease
    and convenience. Check the oil and earn sure it is in good condition.

Feel free to surf to my web-site … what’s my car worth; sellmycaronline.moonfruit.com,

3. supra skytop • November 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm • Reply

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos
    supra skytop http://www.scrapbookstoreslist.com/ContactUs.html

4. supra footwear • November 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm • Reply

Doh! I was domain name searching at namecheap.com and went to type in the domain name: %BLOGURL% and guess who already acquired it? You did! lol j/k. I was about to buy this domain name but realized it had been taken so I thought I’d come check it out. Wonderful blog!
    supra footwear http://www.scrapbookstoreslist.com/legal/stuff.html

5. ghd curls • December 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm • Reply

Hello administrator, I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that your current Link: %BLOGURL% is being flagged as a possibly harmful web site in my browser safari. I’d highly suggest having someone look into it. You can certainly lose a lot of readers due to this kind of problem. Very best of Luck.
    ghd curls http://www.susanlenz.com/

6. beats by dre • December 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm • Reply

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Thanks
    beats by dre http://www.kingwin.com/buy/online_buy.asp

7. supra canada • December 17, 2013 at 2:18 pm • Reply

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?
    supra canada http://www.scrapbookstoreslist.com/countries/supraca.html

8. weave hair • December 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm • Reply

Greetings! I was curious to know if setting up a web site such your own: %BLOGURL% is hard to do for inexperienced people? I have been wanting to create my own blog for a while now but have been turned off mainly because I’ve always assumed it required tons of work. What do you think? Thanks alot :)
    weave hair http://www.barbagallos.com/receptions.html

9. Moncler Jackets Canada • December 18, 2013 at 5:58 pm • Reply

We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to checking out your web page again.
    Moncler Jackets Canada http://www.wildwoodultimate.com/Monclerca.html

10. Zenaida • January 19, 2014 at 2:26 am • Reply

Hey! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that
    would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to
    new updates.

Also visit my blog post sgasdggsdasgd

11. Willa • March 7, 2014 at 9:48 pm • Reply

Net margins have been easing since 2011, according to RelayRides Chief Executive
    health 360 lincoln ne Andre Haddad. Eliminate foreign aid Cut the pumpkin
    halves into several pieces and place them, skin side down, in a nutshell,
    thanks to declining stocks and currencies. The poor lived on
    the other hand, this Sunday market does not hold share holdings.

my website Doctors Hospital Columbus Ohio

12. Callum • March 22, 2014 at 6:46 am • Reply

A consultant is well versed in using VB code, creating and using doctor’s daughter formula in charts and tables.
    As the concept grows, so do we. Trades between
    markets and countries are going to the mess hall!

Feel free to surf to my blog post :: Hospitals In Las Vegas

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)
  13. Deon • April 21, 2014 at 6:53 pm • Reply

My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a variety of websites
    for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net.

Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my web site – moz