A&E | May. 30 12:51 pm EST
Dig Inn Deal

Missing your Columbia meal plan? Dig Inn offers discounted meal plan card

Elaine Forbush / Spec

It’s summer in New York. You managed to find a sublet without selling your first-born, you have a list of all the free outdoor concerts and shows you’re going to see, and you’re ready to start your internship on Monday. The only problem: food is so damn expensive.

It seems the saying “You don’t appreciate something until it’s gone” applies to Columbia’s dining hall food.

But foraging for sustenance that doesn’t break the bank just got a little bit easier thanks to Dig Inn Seasonal Market.

In an apparent attempt to cement its place as a neighborhood favorite, Dig Inn announced its Summer in the City Meal Plan for Columbia students today.

Students need only go to Dig Inn’s Columbia location—2884 Broadway, between 112th and 113th streets—to purchase up front one of the three meal plans:

• $100 meal plan card for the price of $90
  • $250 meal plan card for the price of $220
  • $500 meal plan card  for the price of $400

While the name would suggest this is just a summer special, the card never expires (more than can be said for Columbia meal swipes) and can be used at any of Dig Inn’s seven—soon-to-be eightlocations.

Based on the flyer sent to Spectator, pictured below, Dig Inn seems to be trying to market the Summer in the City Meal Plan as being like a traditional meal plan—a given dollar amount for a certain number of “meals.” But the fine print says that the number of meals is based on a $10-meal average.

So think of this offer more like a discounted gift card, redeemable for any of Dig Inn’s delicious offerings. And if you tend to buy Dig Inn meals that are less than $10 (small vegetarian market plate, anyone?), then buying this deal is an investment that will go a really long way.

diginn_deal

This move is only the latest sign of Dig Inn’s support for affordable food options. In March, Dig Inn founder Adam Eskin wrote an op-ed in Spectator supporting the proposed sandwich ambassador.

“But sandwiches are only part of the bigger issue here,” Eskin wrote. “This is about more than just meat between two pieces of bread. … We know being a student is tough, and it’s even tougher with the added financial burdens you face now and will continue to face when you’re done with college. The options for cheap, good food are few and far between.”

Now, it seems the options for the summer have expanded a little bit.

1. Anonymous • June 10, 2014 at 4:52 pm • Reply

This is embarrassing to the Spectator.
    Since when did they start writing puff pieces for local businesses?
    It’s little more than free advertising for Dig Inn.
    So laudatory that one wonders if any baksheesh was involved…