A&E | Feb. 7 12:17 pm EST
WEEKEND NUGGET

Introducing the weekend nugget: What to read & things to do

Chicken nuggets! Get it? Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Here’s some of the amazing stuff you’ll find in this weekend’s paper. Check it out!

End of the line: new exhibit relives glory days of N.Y. street art: Take an in-depth look at street art culture in the MCNY exhibit “City as Canvas: Graffiti Art from the Martin Wong Collection,” with pieces from artists like Keith Haring and Lee Quiñones (yes, there’s more to street art than Banksy). Read the article and then go check it out for yourself at the Museum of the City of New York—student tickets are only $6!

Courtesy of Roger Smith

Neighborhood Watch: Bay Ridge: Finally get around to heading out to Brooklyn and check out the best spots in this popular neighborhood, from the Shore Promenade (great views of the Manhattan skyline!) to some fantastic options for Middle Eastern food.

“Sex Tips for Straight Women from a Gay Man”: Based on the popular book, this new interactive off-Broadway play doesn’t disappoint. Alexandra Villarreal even says that “It may even be better than sex.”

Courtesy of Bill Coyle

Best of: New York Street Artists: Martin Wong sadly passed away in 1999, so that means that his collection doesn’t feature the contemporary street artists we follow today. Get to know some of them and scope out their works once the snow melts away.

Billy Budd at BAM:  Our opera critic checks out the Billy Budd production honoring composer Britten’s centennial at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

Courtesy of BAM

‘Elegance in an Age of Crisis’ at FIT celebrates high fashion during low 1930s: Despite the Great Depression, style still managed to flourish in the ’30s, and we can learn a thing or two from it. Read the article, then go check it out yourself for free at FIT!

4Chambers: Six dancers lead the audience through four rooms and corridors to symbolize a journey through the heart, and it turns out to be pretty awesome.

Ost Café: This new Lower East Side cafe is as delicious as it looks.

Anne Zhang for Spectator

Still need stuff to do? (After you’re done reading all these wonderful articles, of course!) Here’s what’s happening this weekend:

• The Ferris Reel Society will be screening a free showing of “Dallas Buyers Club” starring Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto, whose performances landed them both Academy Award nominations. It’s TONIGHT at 8 p.m. in Lerner Cinema.
  • Furnald Presents: LyricLion — The Works of Student Composers and Songwriters: Go watch this septet of Columbia and Julliard students showcase their music for free on Saturday from 8 to 9 p.m. in, you guessed it, the Furnald lounge. Oh, and did I mention there will be free food?
  • Athena Film Festival: Barnard will be holding its annual film festival until Sunday. There’s a whole slew of amazing films to choose from, including a $5 showing of “Frozen” at noon on Saturday.

1. Doge • February 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm • Reply

Such street. Very thanks. So the.