A&E | May. 7 3:21 pm EST
adios, havana

Havana Central closing on May 28

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Bad news, rising seniors: Havana Central will be closing its doors at the end of this month, as a manager at the restaurant confirms and The Lion originally reported.

The Lion reports that the news first came to light on a Facbeook group that created an event tonight to mourn the restaurant and bar’s closing

According to manager Neyda Sanchez, the plans to close the restaurant—which opened up in January 2007—and open up another Havana Central in New Jersey came fairly recently.

“They just finalized it this week,” Sanchez said. “So it’s practically new to us.”

Sanchez said that the space will be occupied by a bar, adding that “I don’t know exactly what’s going to be the concept for the next restaurant here.”

On its last day, Havana Central will be having a $12.95 all-you-can-eat special for 90 minutes, and happy hour will last all day.

Check back for more updates.

1. Anonymous • May 7, 2014 at 5:25 pm • Reply

Bring back the West End.

2. Annonymuss • May 29, 2014 at 10:30 pm • Reply

There has been a bar on this site since 1911. It has been called the West End for at least 70 years. Making this into a cuban restaurant was one of the all time bad ideas. The place was expensive. The food, drinks and music were too specialized. Bring back the West End and keep it non-ethnic, non-specialized. It should be aimed at everybody, but especially heavy drinkers and gluttons.

3. Jack Robbins • June 11, 2014 at 6:16 pm • Reply

A new restaurant and bar that fits the old New Yorker description of the place “student food at student prices” ought to do fine. I hope that jazz comes back, but that is just me. I don’t know if it would make the place more likely to succeed.

Rating: +1 (from 1 vote)