A&E | Dec. 6 4:58 pm EST
coo-coo for cocoa

Best Of: Hot Chocolate in NYC

flickr / stephbond

As winter approaches and we brace ourselves for the cold, there is nothing more rewarding than finding that perfect way to keep warm. In a city full of treasures it can be difficult to find that one great cup of hot chocolate, but when you do, it really hits the spot.

City Bakery

This gem is located at the heart of Union Square and is known as one of the most sought-after eateries in NYC. Their famous hot chocolate, topped with a homemade marshmallows, will provide you with that cozy feeling you thought you could only get at home. And nothing will get you through February better than City Bakery’s annual Hot Chocolate Festival. Each day of the month, the bakery releases a new flavor of hot chocolate that is unparalleled by any other café. From chili pepper to lemon these savory beverages will bring your hot chocolate experience to a whole next level.

W. 18th Street and 5th Avenue

flickr / Jen Gallardo

flickr / Jen Gallardo

Max Brenner

Better known as chocolate by the bald man, this esteemed chocolatier is an expert in everything chocolate. Therefore it is no surprise that Brenner’s rich hot cocoa is one of the best this city has to offer. The toppings vary from cinnamon and nutmeg to chocolate wafer balls and melting marshmallows. This tasty treat is embraced by a cozy mug.

Broadway and E. 14th Street

flickr / roboppy

flickr / roboppy

Serendipity III

This famed restaurant has made an appearance in a number of films and its name is very indicative of what you will find here. Their first-rate “Frrrozen Hot Chocolate” is the best oxymoron you’ll ever taste.  The quaint and picturesque design of the restaurant is something you don’t want to miss, but don’t forget to grab a package of the hot chocolate mix on your way out!

E. 60th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue

flickr / riacale

flickr / riacale

La Maison Du Chocolat

This New York City outpost of the acclaimed Paris chocolate maker is always crowded, and for good reason. Expect your heart and stomach to be filled with warmth with this beverage melted straight from their chocolate. It’s more pricy than most hot chocolates, but, hey, that’s the price you pay for a small piece of heaven. Get there early because their hot chocolate sells out quickly!

W. 49th Street and 6th Avenue

flickr / roboppy

flickr / roboppy

Eataly

Last, but not least, this eatery is your little taste of Italy right here in NYC. The cioccolata con panna, found at their Lavazza café, is all the satisfaction you need on a cold winter’s day. The beverage is rich in flavor, but will not leave you feeling sick to your stomach.  Served in a cute little mug with a dollop of whipped cream, this decadent drink is a must-have as you venture out into the cold on Fifth Avenue.

E. 23rd Street and 5th Avenue

flickr / missmeng

flickr / missmeng

1. Chocolate!! • December 6, 2013 at 5:20 pm • Reply

You forgot Burdick’s!

2. xvb • December 7, 2013 at 1:51 am • Reply

dfgd