Be romantic: Bake red velvet cupcakes for your sweetheart!
Looking to charm your Valentine this holiday? Harry Flager’s got a suggestion for the men out there—the way to any girl’s heart is through these cupcakes.
The recipe comes from a pastry chef I worked for in Miami, and these treats are infinitely better than any version you’ve had in New York City. One bite and she’ll be weak in the knees. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. In a bowl, beat the sugar and oil.
3. Add the egg, food coloring, salt, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix to combine.
4. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix.
5. Add the baking soda, mix, then add the vinegar and mix.
6. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the frosting:
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
6 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese.
2. Add the vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar and beat to combine.
Leave a Comment
Be nice. Don't use HTML tags. And consider reading our full comment policy.